Picked up a pristine .357 Blackhawk 50th Anniversary yesterday!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
I was browsing the Sarasota gun show yesterday and ran across this beauty…it was missing the external lock and the fired shell casing. After a coupleof trips around all the tables I went back and walked out with it.
1699797870292.jpeg

edm1

Single-Sixer
I was gonna say, those prices are nicer than I usually see. That Smith isn't to bad at all if it's in nice shape...

Your new Ruger is real nice. Great price.

I have both the .357 and .44 versions. I've shot the .44 and it's ok... but the .357 just seems to hit exactly where I aim... every time. The .44 went in the safe, the .357 I still shoot and sometimes carry around the farm.

Does seem like a much better price than I saw this weekend at the Tulsa gun show. It seems like every pickup truck in the Tulsa area was in that parking lot. It felt like an OU football in there!

Hankus

Blackhawk
I have both the .357 and .44 versions. I've shot the .44 and it's ok... but the .357 just seems to hit exactly where I aim... every time. The .44 went in the safe, the .357 I still shoot and sometimes carry around the farm.

Does seem like a much better price than I saw this weekend at the Tulsa gun show. It seems like every pickup truck in the Tulsa area was in that parking lot. It felt like an OU football in there!
This was more of a "collector's show" that allows private sellers to sell, and it's not completely full of ARs and Glocks. There were maybe two dozen Ruger revolvers there, but most of the sellers wanted $850-$1000 for their used guns. One guy has had a 200th Year of Liberty 6-1/2" .357 with no box there for the last three shows and won't budge from $900.

The Tulsa gun show this weekend was crazy. There was a nearly zero chance I was going to actually buy something regardless of prices, I was just there to walk around and enjoy the spectacle. And be amazed at the crowds. I remember reading something years ago about how the day would come that "all those old guys" would either die off, get sent to a home, or just decide to move to Ecuador... and so vast numbers of collectible firearms would flood the market. Well... it kind of seemed that way. The number of 120 year old+ Winchesters and Marlins and Colts... everywhere. Vast numbers of vintage S&W revolvers. Etc, etc. But the weird thing was the old supply and demand curve didn't seem to be in play. Huge numbers of older guns all hitting the market should send prices sharply lower. It did not.

Of course there were so many AR rifles and pistols and uppers and parts that you didn't even slow down to look at them anymore... so I really don't know about prices there. And all the many varieties of polymer pistols. Same thing. But my Army buddy was looking at Marlins and Winchesters and Savage 99's so we at least glanced at prices on those. A lot of them were over $2k. Some were over $5k. The really nice ones were over $7k. More than one table was selling S&W M27 P&R'a ... for $1800 and up. Generic M29's for $12-14k. M57's even higher. I don't recall ever seeing a Maximum or a Hawkeye. Despite all the military type rifles everywhere.... I never saw any FN SCAR 17's either. Couple HK P7's on different tables... one was $18xx and the other was over $2k? Something like that.

I'm a potential seller so I guess it is good for me... time to start putting together some gunbroker ads for the more unique and rare things ... like the SCAR 17 and P7's. I'll have to try putting some of the Rugers up on this site as well... I bought many of them here... guess I will put them back!

Gregg

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Hankus , nice buy .😉 I remember thinking I should buy the 50th when they were issued 😢 . I regret not getting one now ........

Brant

Bearcat
I bought 2 from cdnn years ago. Shot one a lot and put one up. They came in the red boxes and had the gold lettering on the barrel. Later I got into 44 specials, and now find that caliber in the medium flat top frame a favorite. Both of those anniversary guns went to friends. I soon wished I had kept 1. So when I found a
5 1/2" 357 flattop with 357 and 9mm cylinders I grabbed it. They are all really handy handguns. You did well.

Hankus

Blackhawk
I bought 2 from cdnn years ago. Shot one a lot and put one up. They came in the red boxes and had the gold lettering on the barrel. Later I got into 44 specials, and now find that caliber in the medium flat top frame a favorite. Both of those anniversary guns went to friends. I soon wished I had kept 1. So when I found a
5 1/2" 357 flattop with 357 and 9mm cylinders I grabbed it. They are all really handy handguns. You did
I'm actually a big fan of .45C but couldn't pass this one up. The 9mm cylinder that I got for it on eBay is oversized … I haven't looked at it closely yet though. I'll mic both of them to see if it's worth fitting this one or I might have to go on another search.

Redhawk41

Bearcat
A couple of years ago I found a deal on a matching-serial-number set of those 50th anniversary Flattops; the .357 and the .44 Mag that have the gold lettering on the tops of the barrels. They came with their red plastic boxes (including the contents, of course) as well as the wood/glass presentation box that holds them both. Neither has been fired nor--according to the seller--have the cylinders even been turned, and there is no visible turn line on either one. It will be interesting to find out what they could be worth someday.