Picked Up a New-to-me Ruger New Model Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IrvJr

Single-Sixer
Hey All,

I picked up a new-to-me Ruger Blackhawk this weekend. I used to own a convertible Blackhawk, but sold it a few years ago. That was a mistake that I regretted. I was planning to buy a brand new convertible, but found this used 45 Colt model at a local shop.

It looked like it was in very good shape, so I bought it for $360 (that's actually a good price for here in New England - guns are expensive here).

The gun has just a little road rash on the ejector housing (someone probably dropped it) and a wee bit of rust on the sides of the hammer. There's a teeny bit of holster wear too, but it gives the gun character.

I disassembled it completely, cleaned it, then reassembled it this afternoon. The serial number is 46-7xxxx, indicating it was made in the early 80's (1981 according to the ruger website). I hope that was a good year!

The barrel and gun were very dirty, but not rusted or damaged. They cleaned up easily. I just used a bore snake (couldn't find my cleaning rod) and some RemOil and the bore looks almost brand new. I think this gun was fired very little, but carried or holstered a bit. The grips are a bit aged and worn, but otherwise for a 30-year old gun it's in good shape.

I need to reload some 45 Colt cartridges and then take it to the range later this week. If it shoots well, I plan to carry this gun while hiking/camping/bow hunting. I also might try and use it for whitetail during gun season. It will be a lot lighter to carry than my Super Blackhawk (4-5/8", 44 mag, all stainless steel frame with unfluted cylinder).

Here are a couple of photos of the "new" gun

bh01.JPG

bh02.JPG

loiblb

Single-Sixer
Good choice IMO. Been looking for one in .45 myself. Only have one Blackhawk, it's in .357 from around 1979. It has stood the test and I think it will out last me and maybe my son.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
IrvJr said:
(that's actually a good price for here in New England - guns are expensive here)

:? I've kinda found maby prices up here are better than many areas. They'll get pricey the closer you get to MA though. A part here is $X, in NH it's $XX but in MA...that same part is $XXX or more.

Anyways... nice Blackhawk! Don't see it being THAT mch lighter than your SBH with the same bbl length but... Regardless, it's a darn nice looking single action, a Ruger and a .45 LC. Nice clean grain black eagle grips too. 8)