Personal Defense?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ZVP

Bearcat
I know it's not optiminal but how comfortable do you feel about using a .22 WMR Single Six for Self Defense?
The round is not exactlly a slouch and does offer a nice jacketed Solid Point bullet.
ZVP

They are great rounds but I wonder how they would penetrate heavy clothing? My home self defense weapon is my .45 cal 1911. That WILL penetrate heavy clothing, and doors, and walls and all sorts of semi-solid items.

Snake45

Hawkeye
If you HAVE to use a .22 rimfire for defense, the magnum is about the best you can do, and a revolver is the most reliable type of gun for any rimfire round. A DA revolver would be much better than any SA.

This isn't the very best choice you could make, but all things considered, you could do worse. :wink:

there was some famous Texas Ranger I believe that liked the 22wmr for a close up and personal defensive round....

As mentioned above I would prefer it in a double action revolver though... but if a single six is all you got.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Not that muzzle energy is everything, but here is a perspective. The Winchester and PMC .38 Special rounds that I have been shooting lately have muzzle energies of 188 and 207 ft.lbs. .22 Magnum (from a rifle, a handgun would be less but I don't have those numbers) rounds seem to be in the 320 - 340 ft.lbs. range.

Jim

wwb

Hunter
A .22 mag would certainly not be my first choice, but if it's all you have, it sure beats the tar out of no gun at all.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
The WMR is actually a pretty good option. According to my own tests with the Single Six it is a good penetrator, at least the equivalent of the .32 S&W Long. Mebbe even the .32 ACP although I don't have one to compare. Remember to be careful about what ammo you select. Much of the .22 WMR ammo is fragmenting varmint type stuff. Select a good FMJ or copper coated lead bullet, one of the best I have found is the Winchester .45 grain Dynapoint which is also modestly priced. Although its not my first choice I wouldn't feel unprotected with the Single Six and .22 WMR.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've seen several gun rags compare that snazzy new FN 5.7mm to a .22 Mag out of a rifle. The .22 Mag won't have quite as much pep coming out of a handgun, but still, I'd hate to stop one.

Cholo

Staff member
I used a Colt Peacemaker with the .22 mag. cylinder when it was all I had when I went "parking" with my soon to be wife. I sure felt well armed! If a Single Six is all you have, go for it.

I think this could be a formidable option in a .22 mag and the price is right. I have no experience with Kel-Tec's.

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec-PMR30.htm

Chief 101

Hunter
22WMR isn't a bad choice as it still makes a hole and allows for follow up shots. Better choice than many I see carried today.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
The WMR is actually a pretty good option. According to my own tests with the Single Six it is a good penetrator, at least the equivalent of the .32 S&W Long. Mebbe even the .32 ACP although I don't have one to compare. Remember to be careful about what ammo you select. Much of the .22 WMR ammo is fragmenting varmint type stuff. Select a good FMJ or copper coated lead bullet, one of the best I have found is the Winchester .45 grain Dynapoint which is also modestly priced. Although its not my first choice I wouldn't feel unprotected with the Single Six and .22 WMR.

Agreed. Actually the .22WMR is nearly the equal of a .38 Spl in ft lbs energy depending on loading & barrel length, 190 lbs vs 210 lbs... :shock:
The little maggie is fairly popular as a small backup/hideout LEO gun I hear, and when I have my HS WMR derringer in my pocket I feel pretty "safe" altho the short barrels only do slightly over 1,000 fps....
(Better than a rock anyway! :wink: )

Snake45

Hawkeye
deserttrans said:
If you have a home invasion by drug crazed wackos. It won't be up to the task.
No, but if you can manage to light off a couple of those nasty little firecrackers as the first one comes through the door, the noise alone might very well cancel the rest of the show. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

resident

Single-Sixer
22 Mag is PERFECT....if you're a spy and need a tiny suicide weapon in case you're caught by the enemy. That's what they gave Gary Powers. :roll:

How would you feel about a riding lawn mower at a tractor pull?

Water wings for an ocean voyage?

Elmer's glue for aircraft adhesive?

A knife at a gunfight? (Actually, that's probably better than a 22 Mag.)

FergusonTO35

Hunter
In regards to the drug crazed wackos, unless you can put your shots into the cranium or spinal cord its not likely that any handgun round will stop them. It will mortally wound them, but not stop the threat in the immediate miraculous way that HP bullet manufacturers promise.

A

Anonymous

If it's all you have, goes bang, and spits out lead the .22 Mag would be better than a sharp pointy stick.

Around here it's the preferred poachers round for deer.
At 145 yards a plain old Super-X JHP from my Marlin will punch through 1-1/2" of treated lumber I hang my targets on.

A .22 Mag wouldn't be my first choice at all as a PDW, but I'd say we can all agree on one point ... I wouldn't want to be standing in front of one.

In regards to the drug crazed wackos, unless you can put your shots into the cranium or spinal cord its not likely that any handgun round will stop them. It will mortally wound them, but not stop the threat in the immediate miraculous way that HP bullet manufacturers promise.

That depends on too many factors, and many scenarios could play out with a "DCW". Not all drug crazed wackos behave in the miraculous unstoppable way that the TV portrays.

ZVP

Bearcat
When afield I usually pack my Single Six with the Magnum cylinder I figgure it's at least the equal of a 32 long or 38 S&W and people have relied on them since before the turn of the last century for self protection! I think a .22 Magnum solid would penetrate quite a bit of clothing and still have at least enough to deter an attack.
I have a New Model Vaquero .357 Magnum now, and it carries almost as easilly as the longer Single Six did. It's unquestionablly a man stopper!
ZVP