PC9 and +p+

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Specs

Single-Sixer
This is probably a bit off the wall, but I saw that CDNN is selling 115 gr 9mm JHP +p+ at a good price. Any opinions as to performance in a PC9? I am thinking of 100-150 yard defensive substitute for the Mini 14 which I can't afford right now.

I can't imagine that it would be a problem in the rifle... but I guess you might want to check the owners manual..... I'll go look in a little while myself.

Edit:

the manual says it's fine to shoot +P+ FACTORY loaded ammo in the PC9. As for how well it shoots and performance.... I guess there is only one way to find out.... I think you are kind of pushing it on the 100-150 yard part.

Specs

Single-Sixer
I am sure it will be safe, but just not sure how a lighter faster bullet will perform out of a carbine. Does the extra barrel length enhance the performance or am I getting behind the curve brefore thr round leaves the gun? I have had fair results with 124 gr Federal +p, and was thinking that lighter and faster might be a good thing. I guess 150 yds is dreaming a bit though, because the energy must really be dropping off by then. Just not enough to start with I guess. Still, I think I migh ttry a couple boxes for fun..

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Because it is a short cartridge with fast powder I don't think a 9mm gains very much velocity in a rifle barrel. Defense against what, thugs with an AK-47 at 150 yards? Good luck with that. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Specs

Single-Sixer
Other than my Marlin 30-30 I don't have a rifle with longer range capabilities. I am well prepared for most hunting and defensive solutions, except for the very unlikely scenario of fending off thugs with AK 47s, but I still feel that my collection is lacking. I guess I should acquire a mini 14 or mini 30, not being interested in any of the commo block rifles, but other than pleasure of ownership, I am loath to make the investment in a gun I probably won't use much. I just think that I would like to have at least one of every type of firearm I could conceivably need. I was just considering whether my PC9 could fill that niche. Naturally I am drawn to Ruger as most of my collection is Ruger.

Maybe I'll save my pennies and pick up a Walmart Mini 14. It was quite a jolt to see some decent looking rifles in WM the other day.

RJ556

Buckeye
It depends what type of defensive type of situations you would be using the 9mm for. Out in the wild, you may be under armed but in or around your house, I think the "9" would do well, especially if over penetration would be a factor. If your family members are in another room and you are shooting it out with thugs, you would not want to have to "pick your shots" because of being worried about accidentally shooting through the wall and hitting a family member. I will be living in Romania during my retirement years. Civilians there are not allowed to possess "military type" firearms. My home defense gun will be a Marlin Camp 9 loaded with 115 or 124 grain soft point loads.

Sparks1957

Bearcat
I love my PC9, but wouldn't rely on it past 50 yards or so simply because of the 9mm gets unstable much past that. Hotter rounds might gain you a few yards, but nothing like 150 yard range.

Mine is strictly a plinker and home defense weapon, where I want decent power, high capacity, and relatively low penetration.

Thinking about a mini-14 to fill that niche at longer ranges, actually

satch

Bearcat
Many years ago I called Ruger about this same subject with another Ruger gun and they told me Ruger makes their guns to handle all kinds of ammo including the + ammo.
I have a PC 4 and reload ammo and have the powder die set for the maximum for that round and have shot almost 2000 rds.,with no problem.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
A 12 gauge with 00 buckshot is a better choice than a 9mm at the ranges you are talking about (even the shorter 100 yards). so is you Marlin .30-30, by a big margin.

Against guys with AKs I'd want to either take them on at very long range with one of my bolt rifles or have something considerably more potent than a 9mm pistol cartridge, regardless of the rate of fire. A Mini-14 or Mini-30 or similar comes to mind big time.

Hope I never find myself in that situation, but I do have a pump 12 and lot of 00 buck.

Specs

Single-Sixer
I have been considering a mini 14 or mini 30 for awhile just to fill out my collection. I guess I hve the same problem as most in that I keep finding that I need "1 more", but finding it harder these days to invest. Perhaps a decent ranch rifle would be a good thing to pursue. I have been reading about the "new" Minis, and I think that I will hold out for one. I have looked at some older models, but I think that a new basic model would be the way to go. Not really interested in all of the "tacticool" models, just wood and stainless.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Specs, a Marlin 30-30 gives you great defensive capabilities out to 150 yards and that was what you were asking about. Combine that with a PC-9 for moderate range and a handgun for personal defense and you are good to go for the apocalypse. Of course CD Fingers would suggest a Mosin or M1 Garand which could get you out to 1000 yards. :D :D :mrgreen:

...Jimbo

wwb

Hunter
A 9mm 115 grain bullet has about the same ballistic coefficient as a railroad boxcar... in fact, probably not even that good. Even though the bullet will travel MUCH farther than that, I'd put the maximum EFFECTIVE range at about 50 yards.

If you want to combine rate of fire with effective range, go right straight to a 6.8 SPC. It can be had in a Mini, but I'd recommend an AR platform. Also.... 2 pins and 30 seconds later, you have a .223 or any of several other calibers if you're willing to pop for another upper with an AR.

RJ556

Buckeye
Coyote Hunter, I'll agree with you about the 30-30 but when you said 00 buck is better at the ranges he was talking about, I'm sure you did not mean 150 yards. 12 guage, with buck shot, at 100 yards you would have to lob it at the target and at that range, there would not be much energy left in those round pellets. If I had to defend myself at 100 yards, instead of a 12 guage, I would rather be armed with a 9mm carbine. At least I could keep my shots within an approximate 5" circle. Some will not believe this, but I had a Beretta Storm 9mm carbine with a red dot sight that would shoot 3" groups at 100 yards benched. :shock: