PC Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tailout

Bearcat
Hello all, I sighted in my PC Carbine with a red dot at the range the other day, I really enjoy shooting this gun, nice trigger pull and reset, pretty accurate up to 100 yards. At this point the only complaint I have is, it's a dirty gun. The blow back action makes a mess, so I strip it down after each range session. While reassembling and installing the bolt carrier group the recoil spring and buffer need a little compression to slide into the receiver, I've done this many times in the past. The assembly was hanging up a bit and when I let go of it the plastic recoil spring retainer clip let go and the clip and spring went flying. I recovered the parts, the hole in the plastic buffer plate is ruffed out. This is a poor design, I trimmed the ruff edges and reassembled. The clip doesn't have much to set into, this is going to happen again. Anyone have this problem with their PC carbine?? I'll be calling Ruger for replacement parts.

"it's a dirty gun. The blow back action makes a mess, so I strip it down after each range session."
Taking care of your firearm is commendable BUT as with many similar comments concerning the MK and 22/45 pistols, there can be such a thing as overdoing the cleaning. Some designs aren't really intended to be subjected to constant (and unnecessary) dis/reassembly.
I shoot 22/45 pistols with a suppressor(undoubtedly the dirtiest combination other than black powder) but constant cleaning of the unsightly but not function inhibiting residue is unwarranted.