P95PR to P95DC?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cnj

Bearcat
So I posted this under "Ruger Smithing" this a.m., but since this is basically swapping parts (I think), maybe it belongs here?
I have a KP95PR and would like to convert it to a DC model (like my P89). I also wouldn't mind getting a blued slide instead of my stainless. Has anyone done this using factory parts only? I assume it is possible, as the P95 was available as a DC model at one time. Thoughts?

Mike J

Hunter
There is a member here that has done this Railroader IIRC. You might search his old posts to see what he has said about it.

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
I compared a P95DC to a P95 manual safety model and you can't do the conversion just by changing the upper. Besides the obvious differences in the slide & slide parts there is a difference in the trigger bar and also in the frame.

You can get a decocker slide on a manual safety frame but it won't operate and it is difficult to remove. The manual safety slide is simpler to get on and off the decocker frame but it still won't operate.

It is probably possible to modify the trigger bar and frame of a manual safety model to allow a decocker slide to work, but as far as I can see, modifying the slide of a manual safety model to convert it to a decock only operation would be a pretty involved task. If someone has figured out how to do it I would certainly be interested in knowing how it's done.

railroader

Single-Sixer
Yes I converted my P95 to decocker. I switched the complete slide, the trigger bar and the ejector for it to work. I also changed the slide stop and mag release since I was going from a blued gun to a stainless version. It works great after the conversion too. It looked like this when I got it and when I was done it looked like this.

ruger_18161.jpg

kp95dpr.jpg

roylt

Hunter
So to make this work you have to buy a lot of extra parts including a slide assembly. Say 75 bucks on gunbroker. Plus your labor. ETC ETC. So round to 150 bucks to convert.

Why not just buy another P95DC and sell the P95. You can get these pretty cheap on gunbroker or other sites. Say 300?

Or just get another DC unit and keep your original and start a P-series collection.

Good luck either way.

cnj

Bearcat
Great job on the conversion Railroader! After all is considered, I think I'll just sell the P95 and buy a used P95DC when I can find one.

railroader

Single-Sixer
Yes those guns pictured aren't mine. They are an accurate representation of the before and after though. As for the cost I bought a complete 95dc minus the frame on auctionarms for about $75 shipped. I then sold the left over slide, barrel and parts for $65 so I was in to the project for $10. Mark

Latest posts