P95,My first pistol

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tovisitor98

Bearcat
I got my CC permit Tues, bought a P95PR on Wed and went to the range on Thurs. My buddy was supposed to go with me and show me the ropes but he had to bail so I decided to go by myself. As it was my first time shooting a pistol I was a little nervous but I talked with a couple other guys waiting for a lane and the offered to help as needed.
I had a great time and didn't need any help. The target retrieval was pretty staight forward and all the rules were posted so no problems there. I was surprised by how many casings flew my way from guy next to me, a couple went down my collar before I zipped it up to my chin.
Had a little trouble loading the mags the first time,got easier as I went along. I shot a box of 50 of Blazers with no trouble, had 2FTE from a box of Winchesters on sale at Gander Mt for $11.99.

HoosierBilly

Bearcat
Congratulations on your pistol. You picked an excelent gun that it will not disappoint you at all. The more you shoot with it the more you will like it.

Grimscale

Bearcat
Also (and no, I'm not trying to criticize you shooting technique) make sure you have a firm grip on the pistol when you fire.
P95s seem to be especially susceptible to "limp wrist". It could cause FTE or stovepipes.

(scared the hell outta the missus the first time she tried my P95 - she thought she broke it.)

gunman42782

Hunter
Congratulations on the new pistol, and welcome to the forum. I will second what grimscale said above about limp wristing. Make sure you have a good grip on the gun.

yangsta

Bearcat
COngrats on the purchase.

Also, CC as in Carry Conceal Permit? How was it your first time shooting if you got a CC permit?

Just confused.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum.
On the P95 take a high firm grip.
If you still get FTE a cleaning is in order.

Do not over oil it when cleaning it will get too dirty too fast.

tk

tovisitor98

Bearcat
yangsta said:
COngrats on the purchase.

Also, CC as in Carry Conceal Permit? How was it your first time shooting if you got a CC permit?

Just confused.
In NY the class required to apply for a CC is strictly classroom,not hands on.Can't buy or even rent a pistol at a range without a permit

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
pistolpete said:
2 FTE. I assume you are referencing failure to extract? If so keep an eye on the extractor tension. You might need to increase the tension.

Good advice but this being the first time the OP has fired a pistol it might be ahead of his ability a little bit, specially if it requires disassembling the slide. :shock:

Probably the grip since P95s never fail. :wink:

tovisitor98

Bearcat
I went to the range again the other day with a buddy and he pointed out that my hand is too large to hold the grip tightly and have my finger on the trigger properly. I checked the Hogue website for some rubber grips but saw nothing specifically for a P95. Several were for other P series,does anyone know if these will fit a P95? thanks

wixedmords

Blackhawk
The P95 doesn't have removable grips tovisitor98.

Hogue makes a slip-on grip that may fix the issue for you.

Here's an example.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=662386&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Grips-_-PriceCompListing-_-662386

tovisitor98

Bearcat
I'm in FL for a couple weeks but found the hogue slip-on grip in a shop down here.I'll give it a try when I get home.thanks for the tip.

ZVP

Bearcat
I have decided on this model for my next Ruger and the more I read, the more I hear the words absolute reliability assosiated with the P-95!
I am glad to hear such information as this will be my primary armament for Home and self defense.
I am not familliar with 9mm guns so what ammunition would you folks suggest for best operation and stopping power?
ZVP