P95 Front site with no white dot?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ScootShoot

Bearcat
I just received my first SemiAuto Ruger pistol (P95 StSt 15RD). The only lead down the barrel has been from the factory.

While getting close to the gun, I noticed the front site has an indentation but no white dot. The rear site has indentation with white dots.

Is this normal?

Thanks
Scott

hittman

Staff member
Mine (several years old) has the white dot on the front sight. A little Testors model car paint may fix you up.

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
It may not have been applied, or it may have fallen off/out. The paint dries hard; if, for some reason, it doesn't properly adhere, it can flake off. I have a Walther PPK with a silver dot for fire instead of a red dot because the red dot of paint fell out a few years back.

Ashlander

Single-Sixer
I have several handguns whose white dots have fallen out. I use "white-out" as a replacement. It's vivid white and dries fast and hard. Also very easy to replace.

roylt

Hunter
No not normal. Take it back to the dealer and see if he will trade or like others have said paint it yourself. Replace with night site or hiViz.

Enjoy that 95. It is the last of the P-gun. Very nice for the price too.

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
Ashlander said:
I have several handguns whose white dots have fallen out. I use "white-out" as a replacement. It's vivid white and dries fast and hard. Also very easy to replace.

+1 for "white out". Very durable and as Aslander stated it is very white and dries fast and hard.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
I have tried fluorescent/glitter orange or red finger nail polish for the front site and fluorescent green for the rear... works pretty good. You can get it a the Dollar Store or Walmart, most anywhere.... actually. I would wipe the site down with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol to clean it, remove oils. Then use a tooth pick as the paint brush.... dip it in slightly and dot it on. Good to go.

Here is a pic of it on my Taurus 455 Revolver, but same concept would apply to the dots on the P series or other series pistols....

100_1158.jpg

ScootShoot

Bearcat
Thanks for the info and suggestions. I'm kind of a nut for tring to keep things OEM as long as it works. I'll try taking it back for the original dot. If that fails I'll do my own dot as per your tips.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
No offense intended, but it is just a dot of paint. And the reason it popped out was probably due to it not being a clean surface. It could very well pop out again after paint dries. Kinda like air in your car tires, there is no proprietary market on it and a dealer will most likely charge you to fill em when your air runs low... like he would replacing a site.

Your call obviously....I personally think it is time and effort wasted. But I would be interested in a follow up on this post, hearing what your dealer or Ruger do. I doubt they will take it back or exchange it (a lot of paper work and/or shipping expense involved), but they (Ruger) would most likely send you a new front sight and you would have to have it installed or install it yourself. That is what I am thinking..... and I bet your dealer has similar thoughts.

Please do follow up on this post..... I am sure most of us would love to hear the corrective action taken by the dealer and Ruger.

Finger nail polish is the best... but to be honest.... I find the white dots not needed when shooting my P95.... I kind of am going back to old school.. black iron on my sights... besides that, on a P95 I personally think the best way to shoot one is to learn to shoot and hit your target from about 15 feet not using the sights but jut to point and shoot. Work your way down to about 3" groups and you'll be prepared.

ScootShoot

Bearcat
Ruger offered to repair it for me if I sent the slide to them. They also suggested I paint myself.

So I'm going to break out the paint and toothpick and put this little problem to rest.

Thanks

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
The key is carefully degreasing the spot you plan to paint. Otherwise the new dot of paint won't stick any better than the original.