P90 mags? Steel or plastic follower, what is the diff?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
I seached a little and didn't find an answer. Was wondering the difference in the mags that have the metal follower vs. the plastic follower. Simply vintage or something else?

Also I have heard of 7 round mags and 8 round. Maybe that is the diff?

Let me know and thanks,

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Factory 8 round magazines have the Devel/McCormick style split metal follower.
Factory 7 round magazines have a skirted plastic follower.
As far as I can tell they use the same magazine tube. The springs are different with the 7 round spring having tighter diameter coils (8 round springs will not work with the plastic follower).
I prefer the plastic follower as the metal one can damage the P90 frame.
Wilson spring/follower kits for 1911 magazines will work in the Ruger magazine tube.
P345 magazines (different part number) will work in the P90 and 97 as well. They are 8 rounders with the metal follower and have a warning label on them from the factory.
Regards,
Greg

roylt

Hunter
What damage from the metal?

I was looking at a LE only trade that had the metal type and another KP that came with the plastic.

Also on Rugers site they sell the 8 round but it looks like it has the plastic? Hard to confirm from the picture though.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
roylt said:
What damage from the metal?

I was looking at a LE only trade that had the metal type and another KP that came with the plastic.

Also on Rugers site they sell the 8 round but it looks like it has the plastic? Hard to confirm from the picture though.
Damage; http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols/25128-p90-magazines.html
If it's an OEM eight round magazine, it has the metal follower.
Regards,
Greg

P90

Single-Sixer
Here's another link also. I won't use the shooting star followers.
http://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/4447-7-round-mag-into-8-round-mag.html

roylt

Hunter
Seems odd to me that a LE only issued gun would come with mags that are problematic.

I don't really understand all that I read yet but will do more research.

Thanks for the info so far and if there is more to add please do.

P90

Single-Sixer
You can see from the post I made on the other board that the metal follower started digging a hole in the aluminum under the feed ramp on the frame. If you don't care for a hole there, there might not be a problem, but I didn't want one. The same magazines are used on the P97, and Ruger put a stainless steel stop to keep it from gouging the polymer.

railroader

Single-Sixer
I have a p97 and the metal followers aren't a problem with it and I would assume the same with the p345. It just seems to be an p90 issue. Mark

P90

Single-Sixer
railroader said:
I have a p97 and the metal followers aren't a problem with it and I would assume the same with the p345. It just seems to be an p90 issue. Mark
The reason is if you look under the feed ramp on the Polymer there is a stainless steel stop. Stainless steel is harder than Polymer or Aluminum. The follower hits the stainless steel instead of the frame. Ruger discovered the problem after the P90's and corrected it with the Stainless Steel Stop for the follower to hit.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
On my P90 the plastic follower will lock the slide back on the last round. On my magazine with the metal follower it will not lock on the last round.

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
There are a whole grunch of springs/followers around. The Wilson Combat springs & followers work. I have a couple sets of those. The 7 rd spring is more robust. It will last longer & prevent last round jams that are not uncommon with 8 rd mags.

To use the old P90 plastic follower you need a narrower spring. I got a few from Midway but it seems the PN has been discontinued. It was listed as for a P90D model.

My P90 is in the shop so I got a 1911 to take it's place temporarily. I've been accumulating a bunch of mags with different style followers. I'll be testing 'em out in the P90 mag bodies when the first stringer makes it's return. :wink: