P89 underated

Help Support Ruger Forum:

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I have a late-production (August 2007) P89 that literally shoots 1" to 1.5" groups at 15 yards (and probably further, but that was the test/zeroing distance). It is an exceptionally accurate, reliable and durable pistol. Mine is used for carry and IDPA; in my 2014 IDPA year, I used it as my primary IDPA pistol throughout the year, including in a state championship sanctioned match.

I've found the ergonomics on the P89, especially on the later-production ones with the revised/final safety levers to be quite good. The only modifications that I've done to mine are to have replaced the grips with a set of Hogue rubber Cobblestone fingergroove grips, and to have painted my front sight dot with Testors Florescent Neon Green, and the rear sight dots with Testors Fluorescent Orange-the paint speeds up my sight acquisition and using the diferent colors for the front and rear sights prevents any confusion between the two when acquiring at speed.

I seem to index very naturally with the P89, and my index, combined with the quite adequate OEM sights make shooting on the move and at smaller/more distant targets (such as the IDPA headbox) much easier than on other platforms.

The P89 is significantly overbuilt for the 9mm cartridge, a legacy of the XM9/XM10 DoD tests of the 1980s. It remains an exceptionally viable weapon today, and is hardly rendered obsolescent by any of the other platforms bandied about in this thread in my opinion.

Best, Jon

tercel89

Single-Sixer
wvshooter said:
Just bought a P89, my first, and I am very impressed. Maybe I'm a cave man but I like this gun better than my CZ's, Glocks, Smiths, and Sigs. Everyone calls it a truck gun but I've got an Alien Gear holster coming and I'm going to carry this thing. Hey, it's lighter than my 5906.

Please post some pictures of it inside your Alien Gear when it arrives ! I love the P-Series and Alien Gear . I am on the fence about getting an Alien Gear for my P-89 and P-95.
I use Alien Gear for my GLocks and those holsters are GREAT

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Keep the P-Series ALIVE ! I am a huge Glock fan but I will always keep my P-Series.
They run just as reliable as my Glocks.They may be thick but I like my women that way :mrgreen:

Al James

Hunter
tercel89 said:
Keep the P-Series ALIVE ! I am a huge Glock fan but I will always keep my P-Series.
They run just as reliable as my Glocks.They may be thick but I like my women that way :mrgreen:

Uh-oh they are multiplying....nice collection you got going there!

welder

Buckeye
Yes indeed, fine group of "P"s.

Had a day off last week and took 5 of my P guns to the range for a Ruger P day and had a blast.

P97, P345, P95, PC9, and of course a P89.

Hey Al, the P97 I got from you was among them and performed flawlessly, 120 rounds of American Eagle with good results. Bounced a bunch of steel plates around, danced the bowling pins and added to my brass stash that need to be reloaded. It was a fine day.

Al James

Hunter
welder said:
Hey Al, the P97 I got from you was among them and performed flawlessly, 120 rounds of American Eagle with good results. Bounced a bunch of steel plates around, danced the bowling pins and added to my brass stash that need to be reloaded. It was a fine day.

Glad to hear! That is one sweet P97DC! They seem to be very accurate pistols based on the few that I have owned and shot. Glad its adding to the brass heap. :wink:

welder

Buckeye
Easy shooter and while I didn't measure paper groups I hit everything I aimed at. Usually 4" or 6" plates at 15yds. and bowling pins or flappers at various distances. Just out for fun really.