P345 mag question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ragdog

Bearcat
Umm... How are they the same if one holds 8 rounds and one holds 7 rounds??

roylt

Hunter
Also Ruger has a different part number because the 345 mag doesn't get the sticker saying the gun will fire without the mag and the p90 does get the sticker.

Mag disconnect thing.

Flash

Buckeye
roylt said:
Also Ruger has a different part number because the 345 mag doesn't get the sticker saying the gun will fire without the mag and the p90 does get the sticker.

Mag disconnect thing.

You should publish a book on the P series guns, you certainly have your share of knowledge.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Ragdog said:
Umm... How are they the same if one holds 8 rounds and one holds 7 rounds??

See these:

http://shopruger.com/P90-P97-Stainless-Magazine-8-Shot/productinfo/90001/

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-P345-Stainless-Magazine-8-Shot/productinfo/90230/

They are the SAME mag. I know, because I own a P345 and have bought and used 8 rd P90 mags in it. They are identical (except for the sticker) to the P345 mags, even though they have different part numbers.

roylt

Hunter
Flash said:
You should publish a book on the P series guns, you certainly have your share of knowledge.

I fell in love with these P-guns and have tried to get to know them in detail. I'm sure I don't know everything but am trying.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Flash said:

I fell in love with these P-guns and have tried to get to know them in detail. I'm sure I don't know everything but am trying.

You da mang!!!!! :D

boomer 8)

blindjim

Bearcat
iN THE fwiw DEPT.... LISTED ONLINE at MIDWAY out of Mousuri, the P90-97 mags are shown as replacements for the P345.

Shown in both SS and blue. In various round capacities. 7-8-10 rds. and I seem to recall they are from Pro Mag. @ $19.95 ea.

I bought two 10 round clips in blue. So far I've had no issues at all.

One last note ... each extended mag comes with with a plastic cosmetic piece which is removable. It slides right up & off... leaving it OFF I've had no problems.

With it on it's much tuffer to seat into the mag chamber, requiring more upward pressure or force to get it to click into place.. Without this piece on, the extended mag seats just like any of the other two 8 OEM rounders, and feeds exactly like them with either Hornady 185 JHP, or Am Eagle 230 FMJ, in any combination, or arrangement.

I keep each mag with a couple 230 FMJ rds at the base of each mag. I've absolutely no idea why I do this... oh, yeah I do! To stretch the 'spensive ones out a bit more.

But I'll be going back to non p rounds quick as these get spent.

Just thought to add this as I see so much noise about mags for the P345 AND some other SR gun owners asking for what & where they can buy extended round mags.... and so much trouble with them.

Cons:
They sure make the P345 not as handdy a size as the 10s stick out a couple inches. To carry a P345.... ? I'd just carry another OEM or 8 round mag.

Everything I've used in my life that I got new or unused, needed breaking in. so I filled mine up. Cycled them thru the gun several times dry. I've had no issues since. It could be too then, since the time PM introduced the extended mags, some things were altered in them. The spring in the PM mags is noticeably lighter then the OEM mags. Not tremendously, just noticeably. Maybe a pound or two or so. perhaps less, but now they feed fine.... again... once they've been run in some.

The build isn't on par with SR mags. but they are half their price and of course remain inside the gun predominately. For predominately secure environments? I think they're super. Possibly for hunting too and or open carry.

blindjim

Bearcat
Donaldjr1969

This week I ought to get to the range and do some real firing.. popping off a few in the back yard isn't enough to really know.

What I saw regarding the spotty rep was from folks who said they used the 15 round mags, and I suspect none of the nay sayers ran them in first.

Some of those posts too were dated back a ways as well. Perhaps some alterations were made to the followers or the spring. Too strong a spring will prevent or make more difficult, the process of feeding I believe.

One thread pointing me to break in mags was one about the Pro Mags 15 rd mag for the P90 - 97s. he said he had the same results at first. Hit & miss on feeding. Until he backed off filling it all the way up and kept loading only a dozen or so at first... then eventually, it all came together and he was OK with it. Another said he just uses it/them as 12 - 14 rd mag instead of 15... and it runs fine that way for him.

Could be too more than just mags were at fault in some of those threads. Grip. Hold. Posture. Rounds. etc.

When I see sporadic arguments here or there about a particular thing having issues.... unless that same issue gets widespread coverage across the web showing itself everywhere you look... I dismiss it/them as Oil well instances. operator error... lemmon... needed cleaning... too much lube... the ammo itself... wrong fitted accessory... or and a lot IMHO... a lack of wxperience and/or a lack of proper breaking in of the ??? gun. Especially auto loader shotguns like my 930 SPX. All sorts of issues arose online about it's FTF & jams. Unless the op shot a 100 or better 3 in Mag hot shot shells thru it first. 200 is better still. I saw the same thing with the P345... gotta shoot some shells thru it/them first... then decide if it's bad or not. Don't just run a box of 20 or 25 and go off all cockeyed about it.

I'll be more than happy to get back here after I run a few boxes thru them hot... but the action doesn't feel one bit different from the OEM units IMO.