P-89 Modification to P-95 Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Roy, the below pics illustrate just where the Barrel Link rests in relation to the '95 Trigger in my KP89.
BarrelLink1.jpg

BarrelLink2.jpg

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
As you can see, it's mighty close! I believe that it's close enough on mine to warrant the cutout. Though I admit it's possible it could miss enough to run without the mod', it sure looks as though the two parts would at least KISS without it! Does yours look similar?

roylt

Hunter
I was going to put mine together as you have and take a look. I haven't done it yet though.

I can tell you that you have the newer setup with the guide rod without the nipple. My link is more rounded so the nipple on the guide rod fits. If that makes since.

It almost looks like the link on yours has kissed the trigger. In the bottom pic a shinny spot on the trigger cut out.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post these pics.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
Just finished this mod on my P89 and all I can say is wow. Smooth trigger pull, glass like break when the trigger is about a hair's length from the frame. This with the combination of the 19lb hammer spring I had installed give the P89 a whole new feel. :D

scaled.php

scaled.php

My P89 is from 96' which has the nipple guide rod and no problems or wear marks.

Is there a reason the imageshack images don't come up on this forum? :? Works fine everywhere else.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Another satisfied "customer"! :D :wink:

Nice looking 89!

I have a 21lb hammer spring on mine, factory is 22lb. I was paranoid about going lower, some people claim light primer strikes.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Hope you don't mind.. in order to get these to show up I added them to my Photobucket page. I'll remove them if it's a problem, just tryin' to help out.
rugerw95trig.jpg

ruger95trig2.jpg

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
Thanks for posting them up. :wink: I think its set up correctly on my original post unless I'm restricted for some reason or this forum's format doesn't like imageshack.

No light primer strikes with the 19lb spring. I use Federal, Winchester and RWS ammo with zero problems.I guess I could go to a 20lb if I got nervous about it though.

Nakanokalronin

Single-Sixer
TruthNotRelative said:
Nakanokalronin, question: Did you perform the cut-out on the trigger itself or did you opt to bypass that part of the mod'?

I did the cutout. I know some have said its not needed but the clearance is there on the stock trigger so I figured its better to be safe then sorry. Even a tiny amount of rubbing between the trigger and the link could cause a problem. Better to just do it since it doesn't effect the strength of the part itself.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
"I did the cutout. I know some have said its not needed but the clearance is there on the stock trigger so I figured its better to be safe then sorry. Even a tiny amount of rubbing between the trigger and the link could cause a problem. Better to just do it since it doesn't effect the strength of the part itself."

Awesome

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
TruthNotRelative said:
"I did the cutout. I know some have said its not needed but the clearance is there on the stock trigger so I figured its better to be safe then sorry. Even a tiny amount of rubbing between the trigger and the link could cause a problem. Better to just do it since it doesn't effect the strength of the part itself."

Awesome

roylt

Hunter
I haven't gotten back to this yet to check it out but will most likely do the cut out.

Closing my folks estate soon so I'll be able to move on and focus better. Still might not get to "play" with my guns more because of my small kids but hopefully start mending and moving forward. Being the executor is hell.

roylt

Hunter
So last week I looked at this real close and it looked like there was a few thousands clearance. I took her to the range Thursday and put some rounds down range. Ran fine. After the first shot I popped it apart and didn't see any contact marks etc.

If someone else tries this without filing the 95 trigger please be careful and be sure you are safe. I was very meticulous before I made the decision to try it.

So to recap. Old 89 with nipple on guide rod, rounded type swinging link (barrel link) and new 95 trigger.

buckingbronco

Bearcat
When I first tore into my used p85 I noticed that the slide stop had a lot of wear on it. The wear was from the barrel link and from where the trigger contacts the slide stop and pivots. I ordered a new slide stop and a P95 trigger from Ruger so I could do the conversion.

I cut out the area on the trigger to allow the barrel link clearance and then installed it and the new slide stop in the pistol. Wow, what a difference!

I noted that the front of the trigger comes into contact with the frame and keeps the trigger from traveling fully forward. I think this was a design fix as it does not hinder the operation of the pistol, but it does shorten the length of pull since the trigger is further back in the frame. It is very hard to tell, but I believe there is a difference in the geometry of the trigger that improves the function of the trigger. Essentially the surfaces that pivot together must remain the same, however if the dog leg that ties into the rest of the assembly was moved one or two degrees off from the p85 trigger it could make a huge difference in the function.

I have ordered new Wolff hammer springs to help lighten the action a little, but until they come in I have cut two coils off of my stock spring. The pistol still functions fine and I have not had any light hammer strikes. I will see how much of a difference the new Wolff springs make once I install them.

This is a great mod and has breathed new life into a surplus gun that I purchased for just over $200.00. I really did not care for the trigger before this mod, but now it makes it a contender as one of my favorites.

buckingbronco

Bearcat
My new Wolff springs came in today and even with the lightest spring in the pack I felt that I was getting a lot of spring stack. I studied the way that the trigger mechanism works for some time and it dawned on me that the trigger return spring is compressed as the trigger cams forward and presses the trigger bar forward. I felt that the trigger return spring was what was causing this added spring stack.

I tore everything apart and studied the action as it moves through its process. I took out the trigger and lifted the trigger bar up and used a screw driver to push the plunger forward on the trigger return. It was very tight and heavy feeling.

I pushed the pin out that holds the tension spring in and freed the trigger return spring and plunger from its position. I noticed that the spring was very small and light but it was visibly bent from the bind that the spring is under when under tension.

I cut three coils off of the spring and reinstalled it and the rest of the trigger mechanism. Once I did that I noticed that the spring stack that I was feeling before was gone almost completely. I tested the function of the trigger mechanism and put everything together and took it back to the range to field test the pistol.

The pistol functioned much better and had a much easier trigger pull, both in double and single action. The trigger broke much better and did not bind up as it did before. I do not have a scale that I can use to measure the difference in trigger pull, but I can say that it is much easier than before and feels much more like one of my 1911 match pistols.

I would caution anyone wanting to do this mod as it is very easy to take too much off of the spring and make the unit malfunction. As we all know the factory made the trigger pulls heavy so that no one will accidentally get shot. That being said, if you are responsible enough and want a lighter action and improvement then lightening the trigger return spring will help the action quite a bit. Be sure to test the spring before modifying it (while it is still installed) to be sure that your spring has a lot of tension. I have seen pistols that have weaker springs installed and cutting coils will make them malfunction as it makes them too light to work correctly.

Again, as in the earlier post, I installed the modded P95 trigger into my P85 pistol, installed lighter hammer spring and then cut down the coil on the trigger return spring.

This is a very advanced mod and should only be attempted by someone with good smithing skills.

Happy shootin!