P-89 Modification to P-95 Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have both the P-89 and P95. I love both guns but the P-95 trigger pull/reach is much easier. I was told that the P-89 can be modified to have a P-95 trigger pull. Is that true? And, if so, how?

Thanks

sargents1

Single-Sixer
Southern Shooter":gsptlq2d said:
I have both the P-89 and P95. I love both guns but the P-95 trigger pull/reach is much easier. I was told that the P-89 can be modified to have a P-95 trigger pull. Is that true? And, if so, how?

Thanks

You need to speak to Truthnotrelative. He posted some info on swapping the P95 trigger into a P89. You could do a search on his handle on this forum and probably come up with the info you need in about 5sec.

I think I stumbled on to his posts by doing a google search on "Customized P89"

He did a real nice job with his Ruger P Series guns. I believe he used DuraCoat or Durabake to refinish and did the trigger swap along with some grip stippling and maybe even a custom Loaded-chamber indicator on a P95.

Cheers.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
I'd chime in in detail, but I'm falling asleep as I type this. I can however say that the mod' is very simple, and can be "un-done" simply by dropping the original trigger back in in the extreme unlikeyhood that you don't care for the mod'. I'll help where I can have you any questions (When I'm fully alert that is..).

rusty77

Bearcat
I have ordered a P95 trigger from Brownell's. I found one post on converting the trigger to a P89, but I could not tell from the pictures how the conversion was done. (P89 modifications).

Did I miss a post about the conversion.

Thanks

Henry

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Rusty, I'll do my best to get the "how-to's" posted for you tomorrow sometime.

But I can give you a fast run-down here...

ONE mod' will be made to the NEW (95) trigger only, in that a "slot" will be filed underneath to create room for the barrel link (P95 has a Cam-Block, hence no need for the cut-out/slot) to ride through.

The HARDEST part you will find here is going to be working around the Trigger-bar plunger on the 89 when removing/reinstalling trigger.

That's it for now, will post tomorrow.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
I'd be interested in any further info you may have on this also! :)

TruthNotRelative":skugkknp said:
Rusty, I'll do my best to get the "how-to's" posted for you tomorrow sometime.

But I can give you a fast run-down here...

ONE mod' will be made to the NEW (95) trigger only, in that a "slot" will be filed underneath to create room for the barrel link (P95 has a Cam-Block, hence no need for the cut-out/slot) to ride through.

The HARDEST part you will find here is going to be working around the Trigger-bar plunger on the 89 when removing/reinstalling trigger.

That's it for now, will post tomorrow.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Guys, my only chance to get on-line to help will be later tonight unfortunately, after the wife passes out (Her computer, I don't own one). So, I'll post what I can a few hours from now. Sorry for the delay, I hate waiting too.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
The OP's question was about "Trigger pull" as well as "reach". Just to clarify, this mod' simply changes the actual PHYSICAL trigger (which involves ones physical REACH for the physical trigger itSELF), and does NOT affect inner trigger workings etc.. As long as we all understand eachother, I will introduce graphic's depicting exactly WHAT this mod' involves, and what the PHYSICAL differences are between the P95 trigger, and the P89 trigger (Stock).

1st, what we are accomplishing here is simply replacing the P89's STOCK trigger with the P95's stock trigger. Below are TWO graphics. One shows the side by side comparison of the two triggers, the other shows the mod that will be made to the 95 trigger in order that it may be dropped into the P89 frame, creating a WORKING 95 trigger in a 89 receiver (frame).

This 1st graphic will show the side by side comparison.
P89vsP95Comp-1.gif

This next graphic simply show the mod' that must be performed to make the 95 trigger WORKABLE in the 89 receiver.
P90P95TrigComp2.gif

Tool used in this mod' is simply one appropriate sized round file, that's it. No vise (in my case), just a steady, strong hand and a round file.

Disassembly/reassembly is a different thing. It's late here, will post more on this in the morning.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
To CLARIFY.. the trigger on the RIGHT in the last picture simply shows a STOCK P95 trigger with a CUT-OUT (material removed with round file) to make room for the SWINGING link on the Ruger P89 BARREL. Were this material NOT removed, the slide would simply not move on the 89 frame, let alone facilitate installation of the slide itself. Uhh, in simplistic terms, pistola no workey.

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
TruthNotRelative,
Thanks for posting this info.

I just did this swap on my P90 and like the results.
I did do two extra modifications to the P95 trigger:
1. I removed some material from the backside of the trigger spur to ensure sufficient overtravel (just caution on my part; the trigger works fine without it, but would contact the frame when pulled fully to the rear)
2. I removed the lip/shelf on from the front of of the trigger.
Left: P95 trigger; lip shown inside blue circle:
14nodxu.jpg

The reason for this is that it was contacting the frame and to my eye, was not allowing the trigger to return all the way forward. The trigger seems to function ok when this happens , but I decided to mod it to more closely mimic the P90 trigger.
Left to right: P95 trigger with lip, P90 trigger, modified P95 trigger:
qq5pig.jpg

Here's a shot of my P90 with either trigger installed (P90 trigger on top);
35lcig1.jpg

Color shot;
2hnxv8i.jpg

Regards,
Greg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
This is a sweet mod..
I figured I'd bump it back to the top for others to see..

How about some info on how to remove & replace the trigger in the P series?
I don't have a P series YET..

Been looking hard at finding a P89 at a GREAT price..

Also been looking for a copy of an Armourers Manual for the P series Rugers so I can get a better Idea of how they operate..

Thankx again for sharing this Mod..
Brownell's Shows Out of Stock on this trigger & Sturm Ruger Won't sell it to you So??

jiggerman78

Bearcat
Ruger was gonna sell me the trigger no problem. It was 2- shipped from them. i got mine form midway USA for 18 and change though. Removing and replacing the trigger is simple and just requires on extra step after field stripping. All you have to do is lift the spring holding the slide release bar in and slide it out. From there the trigger assembly comes loose from the front.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I ended up picking a P95DC Trigger up on Gunbroker for $15..
I just modified it a few minutes ago with the Dremel Tool..
When "Project P-89" comes out of the oven & cools it'll be going in..

Factory P-89 & Modified P-95 Triggers
p89p95triggers.jpg