Over-tumbling

Help Support Ruger Forum:

If you've ever had a tumbler catch fire, you won't leave them unattended for "10-12 hours". I've had 2(both Midway cheapies) start smoking and I assume they would have burned had I not shut them down. I've upgraded to Lyman and Dillon now but still don't trust those tiny electric motors.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Chuck 100 yd said:
Most of the BR guys load hot loads. High velocity means less wind drift. Many cant even tell you how many grains their powder charges weigh. They go by clicks on the measure and tune for accuracy. As long as it fits in the case they deem it good.
None of that is remotely correct............but regardless, not sure what that would have to do with cases that were "too slick" either

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
gtxmonte said:
Chuck 100 yd said:
Most of the BR guys load hot loads. High velocity means less wind drift. Many cant even tell you how many grains their powder charges weigh. They go by clicks on the measure and tune for accuracy. As long as it fits in the case they deem it good.
None of that is remotely correct............but regardless, not sure what that would have to do with cases that were "too slick" either

Yea they might load them Hot but I bet they know every kernel of powder personally they load.

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
I have a timer attached to the power cords of my tumblers, be them the buzz-bucket or the Thumler model. They run for 3-4 hours, then stop. If I forget, which isn't likely, they'd start up again in 24 hours.
I said it's unlikely because, in the case of the Thumler, the cases take on a reddish hue if they sit in the soap/Lemishine solution too long.

Rainy Day Shooter

Single-Sixer
I've let the smoke out of my Dillon tumbler in grand fashion one time. Now I typically only tumble for a few hours at a time, and I don't tumble nickel plated cases anymore as they had a tendency to lose their nickel!

Mobuck said:
If you've ever had a tumbler catch fire, you won't leave them unattended for "10-12 hours". I've had 2(both Midway cheapies) start smoking and I assume they would have burned had I not shut them down. I've upgraded to Lyman and Dillon now but still don't trust those tiny electric motors.

Using something like a Thumler avoids any such hassle. The big Thumlers are designed to run a bunch of rocks in a liquid polishing solution that is almost certainly a heavier payload than some empty brass and dry media. I usually load mine up and let it run overnite. So far, no problems.

Yes . . . Thumlers are pricey . . . but they are tough and not plastic.

All JMHO, YMMV.

:)

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Using something like a Thumler avoids any such hassle. The big Thumlers are designed to run a bunch of rocks in a liquid polishing solution that is almost certainly a heavier payload than some empty brass and dry media. I usually load mine up and let it run overnite. So far, no problems.

Hi,

Friends have a lapidary based business. Included in the products they sell are rocks which have been tumbled in rotary tumblers for as much as two weeks, 24/7. A good rotary is built to handle that kind of use with motors using ball bearings, fan cooling, thermal overload protection, and continuous duty ratings.

Thumlers are probably the most familiar to the reloading community, and they now offer a "hi-speed" version of the venerable Model B for polishing brass. http://www.therockshed.com/tumbler7.html It seems pricey at first, but I've seen story after story of 25 year old units still running just fine, and parts are readily available IF they're ever needed. There are other good ones if you go thru that entire site. My guys like Covington Engineering's units cuz they run bigger loads, though I'd offer these bigger "commercial" units are way more than most handloaders will ever need. But in a shameless commerce plug, Covington's a local company here in Redlands, which makes it easy to get support and parts.

On over polishing, I have a hard time swallowing most of the arguments I've seen and heard about damaging the brass (barring the use of chemicals as, or in, the media. That's a different story.) As for those little cheap motors, I've "desmoked" a couple in various applications and wouldn't leave them unattended. Most especially if they have that dreaded "Made in China" sticker on 'em.

Rick C

Bucks Owin

Hunter
SweetWilliam said:
gtxmonte said:
Chuck 100 yd said:

Yea they might load them Hot but I bet they know every kernel of powder personally they load.

Well, no less of an authority than Jim Carmichael, shooting guru and BR record holder, has said that of all the tricks involved in super accurate BR ammo, weighing every powder charge to the nth degree comes in at the bottom of the list. I agree... :shock: