Our third beaver removal job

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I didn't participate much on the first two 'jobs' due to the walking distance to the trapping location.
This time it's on home turf and I can get within 200 yards by Ranger. Got off to a bad start when a big beaver got foul caught in a 330 Conibear and we lost both trap and beaver. A change of technique and set location did the trick and looks like we cleared the impoundment in 3 days. We'll stick with it for a couple more days to make sure and then move to another farm where beavers are damming drainage ditches.
I'm trying to work myself into a beaver removal contract with the local Soil Conservation District. That would keep me busy year round. :)

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm finished up with a beaver removal on one of my jobs. I haven't had any activity in several days. Looks like I'm done with that one.

I haven't had any foul catches in any of my 330's ever,, at least not yet. If I have any doubts about my sets,, I add a long piece of snare cable rigged with chain screw links I can add to my 330's easily to prevent any potential losses like that.

^^^ I couldn't get THAT LUCKY.
On the trap anchors: I thought Son was being a bit over confident by just pushing a 3' cut off stick through the trap chain. When I reset, I used 2 trap stakes in an X pattern like I've done when setting footholds in sandy spots. That area of the backwater is very shallow and has drain tiles so we may find the trap (including rotten beaver) after the water recedes.

contender

Ruger Guru
Much of the time I'm setting my 330's,, I use 3' long pre-cut wooden stakes. I was able to get a bunch of treated porch pieces long ago,, and since they were square cut,, I added a 45 degree on two sides of one end to make driving them easy.
Much of my area has a pretty good clay base in the ponds, streams etc where I set. Using 2 of the stakes, (1) through each of the spring holes,, and driven down into solid clay. Then spacing odd limbs in-between the compressed springs as a guide,, as well as additional funneling,, assist in keeping them in place. A cross stick, (diving stick) is used when totally submerged.
When I run into very soft mud or sand,, I will get at least (1) 5'-6' stick, and use it for one of the spring holes. And then I'll add my cable,,, just in case.

Good luck in finding the trap.

One of the 'experts' Grandson talked to suggested it may have been a big otter that got away with the 330. The water's receding in the beaver pond so we may find the answer soon.
We're going to slow up a few days. Pulled the 330's but left the footholds in places I can drive the UTV close to snag any stragglers. Son is heading for Texas in a few days so we didn't start another job that would require a half mile walk to check traps(in deference to my bum hip).
The coyote traps are located so I can check them with binoculars from places I can drive to w/o making muddy ruts in the crop fields. I may shift to calling hoping to pick off a few yoties that folks want gone. You know it's bad when people are calling cause the coyotes keep them awake at night!!!!!

Possible answer to the missing trap question. This morning I had a 40+# male beaver in one of the two leghold traps we left hoping to snag any stragglers. When Grandson came to help remove Mr Beaver, we discovered one front foot had recently been lost.
My supposition is this big guy had somehow managed to trigger the Conibear as he tried to slip past or some sticks he was pushing triggered it catching him by the front foot. Grandson thought it was big enough to be $30 worth so guess that buys a replacement trap and a bottle of castor lure. ;)

contender

Ruger Guru
Good possibility of that beaver being the same one. And a big otter may have also gotten the 330. A lot depends upon how it was set & how it was anchored.
But hey,, if you can get $30 for that beaver,, good for you. Around here,, I'd be lucky to get $10.00 for a 40 lb beaver. Our furs never get good money.

IMG_1497.jpeg

We have a 'local' fur buyer (if you can call 40 miles local) who seems to have a niche market for beaver and otter pelts. No coyotes, only extremely large raccoons, and a few muskrats(we're not in the rat business as I can't wade around checking traps). It's not too bad as Grandson can drop of critters on his way to work so not the entire 80 mile round trip for 1 or 2.

contender

Ruger Guru
Does your buyer do the skinning work?
Do you remove the castor glands before the sale?

Castor is more valuable than the pelts here when you add in the time it takes to work a skin, and what you get for them. I do save my castor glands, dry them, then freeze them. Once I get a few lbs,, I ship them off. I can get a set of glands out in about 10 minutes. I call it the "easy" money on a beaver.

contender

Ruger Guru
Not a big surprise. By getting the castor AND the skin,, he's very likely doing ok on his purchase. I kinda figured that,, because skinning, fleshing & stretching a beaver is work. In my area,, the hides just aren't worth the time it takes to do it. 1-2 hours work for $10-$20.
However,, the castor,, yep,, worth it to remove. Quick, easy, and can be dried & stored until a sale.

In my varied career I have at times worked as a bartender. On ladies night I have been tasked with "beaver removal".... Some nights there were more than 3 that had to be ejected for unbecoming behavior.... Some people just should not drink.... Especially when the drinks are cheap and flowing....

Marchester

Bearcat
Lucky… last time I had a chance to do beaver removal the farmer's nephew had been educating them with 330's for the first two months of season….. Wasted most of a day setting every slick trail with 330. 3 days 16 caught only one in 330 ( it was in a hole when trap was set.. got it coming out)

When fur is high everyone is a trapper…
When you can't give fur away trappers will still be trapping….

^^^ I agree. 10(?) years ago I was paying our monthly household bills through the winter with 3 dozen dog proofs. This year we couldn't even sell a raccoon under 25 pounds.

contender

Ruger Guru
"When fur is high everyone is a trapper…
When you can't give fur away trappers will still be trapping…."

A well known adage.

When I was younger,, I trapped for fur because I enjoyed it,, AND it did pay a kid good money. (late 1960's-1976.) After the fur market severe decline a few years later,, (I did just a little between 1976 & 1979,, but the Army kept me busy.) I saw where fur prices in my area were almost worthless. I'll never forget when in 1980,, I was deer hunting,, and saw a bobcat. I always carried a .22 for such things. I killed the bobcat,, thinking; "Hey, he's a bird & small game killer & his fur will be worth $50-$60." Well, I had not kept up on the market at that time. I bought my CITES tag, took care of the fur,, and my buyer offered me $5.00. I had spent $1.50 on the tag. So that bobcat was only worth $3.50. The Cherokee in my cried.
I chose to not trap, just for the fur. A lot of work goes into trapping, skinning, drying & such. When you spend a few hours on a single fur, and get $1-$10 for most of what you catch,, it just wasn't worth it. Plus,, just killing animals just for the fur,, and ESPECIALLY in my area where even our best prime is graded very low, seemed almost criminal. My Cherokee heritage of not wasting animals helped my decision.

But,, now,, I have a business,, removing problem animals from peoples homes & property. And I get paid well enough to where it's worth it to me now. And I look at it from a different viewpoint. Humans decided that fur for clothing was inhumane. And now,, a lot of these very same humans have built fancy homes, developments etc into the areas once inhabited by animals. Now,, they pay for me to fix their problems,, that they created.

And when a working person,, (farmers, ranchers, etc) like Mobuck has a problem,, they usually can handle it themselves. Plus,, if they are able to sell the animal w/o the work of skinning, fleshing, stretching, drying etc a fur,, good for them. And when I get a farmer who needs my help,, they usually get a better rate than these city types who THOUGHT they knew better how to handle animals.

Marchester

Bearcat
Agree with contender…. started trapping in 76…. missed 7 seasons since …. still working on profitable way to sell fur… haven't sold to a fur for several years… concentrate on predators to keep game populations up in my area…

Latest posts