Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets in Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Heavy Hitter

Bearcat
Any reason why I wouldn't want to shoot 155 grain version of these bullets

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...eter-200-grain-lead-semi-wadcutter-box-of-500

through a Ruger Vaquero in 45 ACP? I am new to single action and was concerned about this bullet design/shape in a revolver.
I have a few thousand loaded from when I used to shoot steel with my 1911 and thought they would make a great plinker if safe to do so. Thanks in advance.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
NO !!! Projectile weight alone. Please go read your loading manuals. Read HANDLOADING by Phil Sharpe, PRINCIPLES AND PRACTISES OF HANDLOADING by Earl Naramore.
The pressure lost at the B/C gap is minuscule because ALL of the propellent is burned BEFORE the projectile clears the cartridge case.
And so it goes...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The Vaquero is optimized to shoot the 45colt cartridge with a 250gr bullet accurately. The fact that you have a 45acp cylinder is wonderful except that the Vaquero doesn't have adjustable sights and will usually shoot low with any bullet that is that light because of the reduced recoil.

Enigma

Hunter
I would recommend loading those Oregon Trail bullets at full velocity. They are vary 'hard' for a cast bullet, and may well lead if loaded light. When I use them, I run them hard with good success.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
That design was intended for target shooting in semi auto pistols,mainly the 1911.
They will shoot fine in a revolver. I have shot bunches of them in my SR1911's and my Blackhawks and Vaquero's. Due to lack of a crimp grove, in the.45 Colt you will either need to crimp over the front driving band or use a taper crimp.
They recoil very little and shoot low as others have said. Have fun!!

loaded round

Hunter
All I can say I use the 200 gr Laser Cast brand bullets exclusively in my 3 1911's and my Vaquero 45C/45ACP convertible and am extremely pleases with these bullets and company.