Opinion on Circuit Judge

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Local CAL Ranch store has a sale going on. I can get a new,wooden stock circiut judge for $400 + tax. Worth buying? A lot of bad presss on this gun. Anyone have one? Just think it would be a fun gun for plinking a little,or truck gun,just in case. Normal price is $500 -$520 in my area. Thanks.

wwb

Hunter
To each his own, but I've never understood the point of those. If you want a shotgun, buy a shotgun, and if you want a revolver, buy a revolver.

As I understand it, there's too much compromise in the twist rate, resulting in poor performance for both the .45 and the .410. The .45 needs a faster twist, and the .410 really needs to be a smoothbore. The only time it really works is when the target is so close it gets powder burns.

donut757

Blackhawk
I have very mixed emotions on the gun... the gun really doesnt serve a purpose in .410/45.

In .45 im sure it would be the most effective and proficient. With the rifled barrel, the .410 will not shoot worth a darn, unless dispatching snakes at closer ranges. The .45 would be suitable for shooting, but i couldnt imagine the gun being accurate enough for hunting more than 50 yards, but that is just me.

It is a relatively light firearm and would be pretty good as a camping gun to use as defense from larger creatures, the 45 and 410 would help get rid of a very wide range of animals.

NOW... we have to keep it mind it is a Taurus/Rossi.. let that be what it is. If they would actually bring out the .22 convertable model and the 28 ga model with smooth bore, i think those would be pretty cool guns that have a use in the field and at the range. I just dotn see the 410/45 model being worth the money, but being just a novelty to show you friends.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
wwb said:
To each his own, but I've never understood the point of those. If you want a shotgun, buy a shotgun, and if you want a revolver, buy a revolver.

As I understand it, there's too much compromise in the twist rate, resulting in poor performance for both the .45 and the .410. The .45 needs a faster twist, and the .410 really needs to be a smoothbore. The only time it really works is when the target is so close it gets powder burns.
Just like the fact you can use 2 types of ammo. Or you have a shotgun & rifle in one gun. I understand that makes both less desirable that a single purpose gun. I heard they break, wonder if that is fact or internet baloney? Thanks, please keep the info coming.

Lucky Joe

Leave the last 2" of rifling, might straighten the shot pattern out a bit. Paradox gun, if you follow this link you will find conversation on this topic http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10504&sid.. six posts down a fellow called Paradox Pete working with a Taurus Judge. Not a fan of this gun but "There's always a way".

graygun

Hunter
If for the truck,why not a sawed-off double barrel shot gun...one loaded with a slug?

IDK,just throwin' something out there.

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
No my thing but that's just me.I think the many people who love them have never used them in a serious situation.

not legal in Commiefornia, short barreled shot gun, If you get one don,t take it thru Ca.
my mistake, I didn't know there was a rifle version, but still don't know if it is Ca. legal, any one know if it is on the Ca. DOJ list?

hittman

Staff member
The fascination with these is lost on me too.

Everyone I know who has bought any kind of "Judge" has either:

1. Sold or traded it.
2. Never fired it and doesn't intend to.

wwb

Hunter
refugee from California said:
not legal in Commiefornia, short barreled shot gun........

You sure about that? The barrel is rifled (even though the twist is too slow to properly stabilize a .45), and according to Federal law, it is NOT a shotgun.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Saw those "judges" in the store. Scratched my head. Moved on. I get a feeling that these guns were designed for people who are looking for a gun they feel safe owning, not knowing if it will really do the job when needed.
Sort of like buying a really pretty "designer" fire extinguisher without checking to see if it's full.

My opinon. Could be worng.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
I tried one out about 2 years ago... one more big hunking revolver..... not for me.
The circuit judge is the rifle platform , not the handgun one. They have a new judge revolver out with the polymer frame, not has heavy?? Then S&W came out with the governor, seems they must be selling for S&W to copy???

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
SteveRuger said:
I still prefer my T/C ( Thompson/Contender ) In 45/410 with the external choke! great Skunk Gun! Just shot & Run! :shock: :shock: :roll:
Are they only just single shot? I know they have a high rating with shooters.

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
refugee from California said:
not legal in Commiefornia, short barreled shot gun, If you get one don,t take it thru Ca.
my mistake, I didn't know there was a rifle version, but still don't know if it is Ca. legal, any one know if it is on the Ca. DOJ list?

My understanding is that they are only importing the rifled barrel version into the US, thereby avoiding the short-barrel shotgun designation. It is supposedly able to be purchased in CA as a result.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
Checked a lot of on line reviews. Most really like it, the others really hate it. Nothing in the middle. Looks like th QC is 50/50, get a good one you like it ,get a bad one, waste of money. Gun show tomorrow, so I will check it out, put this on hold till last day of sale.
Thanks for all the input.