On Pocketknives...............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OM41

Ruger Forum Member since 07
If I am dressed there is a 3 blade stockman in my pocket and has been since I was about 12 or younger.

Now that I am older and have survived an attack by a Pitt Bull there is also a light longer blade, easy open clip-on always with me too

red Ranger

Bearcat
Yes I understand this one here is my everyday knife

Attachments

• E056A105-FD13-496E-888A-A84DBA436D22.jpeg
    E056A105-FD13-496E-888A-A84DBA436D22.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69

RSIno1

Hunter

Attachments

• 71AvXJXFvlL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    71AvXJXFvlL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2245.jpg
    IMG_2245.jpg
    1,001.1 KB · Views: 67
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 70

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Real beauties posted up there. The Buck Alpha and the Yellowhorse should be very collectible and valuable. Love to have using and collectible myself. My Alpha folder not as nice with black rubber grips and 420 H.C. steel but sure makes a good EDC and skinner for deer.

I'm aBuck knife enthusiast and while I think the traditional Buck 110 is somewhat cumbersome, I carry a Buck 110 slim with a clip on my pocket. It's pretty light and I don't even really notice it, but it's there for what ever reason, if I need it. They also come in the 112 version, but the longer blade appeals to me and I like the clip. It stays in place, and I never have to dig through the other stuff in my pocket, to find it.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
This A.G. Russell one handed knife ends up in my pocket more often than not. It's light, thin and can actually be opened and closed with one hand. The little nub by the hinge operates the lock release. Not the strongest knife in my stable, but it holds an edge and the blade shape works well for most things.
I have one of the First run editions of that knife I bought in 1986 or so. I would still be carrying it if it had a pocket clip. CKRT makes an all-metal copy that's just a bit bigger. I don't carry it much because it's just a bit too big for me to comfortably carry.

I have also carried this Buck 301 every day since Feb. of 1979.

Attachments

• oh4.jpg
    oh4.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 63

RSIno1

Hunter
..... My Alpha folder not as nice with black rubber grips and 420 H.C. steel but sure makes a good EDC and skinner for deer.
I like the Alpha design seems to fit my hand better than a 110. My favorite Buck folder is the Kalinga one. They don't build them often. This was from their Knife of the Month club. They only made 50.

Attachments

• 0419BLS1LC-B.jpg
    0419BLS1LC-B.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 71
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Very nice Kalinga for sure. Hold onto that one! Only 50 made makes you a lucky guy to have scored one. Beautiful handle and blade shape.

I like the Alpha design seems to fit my hand better than a 110. My favorite Buck folder is the Kalinga oen. They don't build them often. This was from their Knife of the Month club. They only made 50.
It looks like a lovely and functional knife but I find Made to order "Collectors Items" are BS. I just made a special edition turd. Only one exactly like it.

RSIno1

Hunter
It looks like a lovely and functional knife but I find Made to order "Collectors Items" are BS. I just made a special edition turd. Only one exactly like it.
Yes I've stopped with the Buck of the Month Club. They are making too many each month now and seem to use normal parts assembled in an unusual way. They all do seem to sell for at least twice the purchase price after a couple years so there is a profit in them.

I've been carrying this for a few years. Durable, decent steel, reasonably priced. I like the design. The point is strong and pointy enough that if I need it to penetrate things it should easily enough. The flipper gives my pinky a solid place to rest as well as my thumb resting solidly on top. The serrations grab and cut in case I need to cut a seatbelt or something. (I've had to do it twice for people trapped upside down in cars) It's a solid tool that if anything happens to it I won't have my feelings too hurt. This and a Leatherman Juice handle anything I'm not dragging a toolbox out for.

Attachments

• IMG_20221219_185549804.jpg
    IMG_20221219_185549804.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 65

codebreaker

Single-Sixer
I carried a Case Sodbuster Jr with yellow handles for a long time. Then I saw a Benchmade Bugout and was sold on it for a long time. Still like it but probably have an orange CIVIVI Elementum in my pocket these days. Resisted Chinese made for a long time but I like liner locks better than the Axis. I like orange or blue handles so I don't lose them in the woods. Or the garage I guess.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Heard Kershaw makes a quality blade for reasonable money. Found out knives can sure be addicting. So many choices and steels in their construction these days. Even a small collection of quality makes EDC enjoyable. Found out I am gonna need a new sharpener for the Sog with D-2 down the road.

alamogunr

Bearcat
Bought each of our two grandsons a Buck single blade, drop point(I prefer drop point knives) last Christmas. The older one(both are young adults) had his in his pocket when he attended a football game. It was confiscated on entry and somehow was "lost" when he went to retreive it.
I couldn't remember which model I had bought originally, so I guessed. Big disappointment!. I'll try to find something better to replace it.

RSIno1

Hunter
Bought each of our two grandsons a Buck single blade, drop point(I prefer drop point knives) last Christmas. The older one(both are young adults) had his in his pocket when he attended a football game. It was confiscated on entry and somehow was "lost" when he went to retreive it.
I couldn't remember which model I had bought originally, so I guessed. Big disappointment!. I'll try to find something better to replace it.
Join the Buck Collectors Club. You can get up to 40% off at the Buck factory website. The nephews love me at Xmas time - the grandson multiple times per year. https://buckcollectorsclub.org/ Here is Buck's 30 drop point folders https://www.buckknives.com/products...ves&blade-shape=drop-point&knife-type=folding

I like the Alpha design seems to fit my hand better than a 110. My favorite Buck folder is the Kalinga one. They don't build them often. This was from their Knife of the Month club. They only made 50.
Why do they only make a few of them? Is there anything special about this knife?

Or rather, is it difficult to get into their knife of the month club.

RSIno1

Hunter
Why do they only make a few of them? Is there anything special about this knife?

Or rather, is it difficult to get into their knife of the month club.
I think their Knife of the Month was just a way to drive internet hits. https://www.buckknives.com/buck-of-the-month/ They never seemed to issue the knife on a specific day so you'd have to check back often and if one hit your fancy you bought it. They were generally about 10-20% higher cost and were mostly limited to 100 or less. They generally used blade types or handle materials that weren't available even on the customs. Today 500+ using common custom options and double the price seems to be the norm.