On Pocketknives...............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I think most of here carry a pocketknife. I'm not talking about those tactical swing blade things with the pocket clip cool gray finished favored by the younger set. I'm talking about a well worn, sharpened, letter opening, string cutting, finger nail smoothing, whittlin' pocket knife.

Here is a trio of those I've carried over the years:

The top knife is a stockman, with dyed jigged bone handles, from Ulster. I bought this knife from a ten-cent store about 1951 or so. I carried it all the time I was in the Army, even though it wore out many pockets on my fatigues. Still have it, and used it at times, though it is slightly bulky in my pocket.

The middle knife is a lock back, jugged bone handled knife I bought about thirty or forty years ago while we were in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. From Eagle Cutlery, it was rather thick for a pocket so ended up using a belt pouch for awhile.

The last one, on the bottom, is a fine slim lock back with dyed jigged bone handles, from Frost cutlery. This is fine for pocket carry due to its slim thickness. Stainless steel, it keeps and holds a very good edge. Its the knife I have when "I've got my pants on." I bought it about twenty years ago, or so, at a gun show here in Memphis.

Bob Wright

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
Beautiful knives, Bob. And of course the more honest wear, the mellower they become.
I carried a Case Copperhead for most of my working life. With its yellow Delrin scales it is not as lovely as yours, but it's an old friend that I love dearly.

Having said that, since retirement I carry a Kerhaw Leek. It's light, sleek and simply disappears when clipped in my pocket. One-handed opening and closing, too.

Wot the hey...I think I'll pop the old Case back in my pocket for the rest of the day.

Jeff

I have carried a variety thru the years, Always a traditional knife, Buck Stockmans, Camillus, Uncle Henrys, then AG Russells.

Lately I carry a Great Eastern Cutlery in one form or another, rotating beterrn pen knives ( 09 Esquires), or Jack Knives, either a #14 with ironwood scales or a 2014 Bladeforums special order with very nice Sambar Stag scales

gunzo

Hunter
At age 10 or so, I carried a Cub Scout knife made by Camilus. A few years later found me carrying knives like my pap-paw would carry. Case, Boker, Primble. My favorite became yellow handled Eye Brand.

At age 35 or so, I guess I lost a bit of nostalgia, but I started using Swiss Army by Victorinox & never looked back.

I do have a well worn Eye brand & a bone handled Case on the shelf in honor of Dad & pap-paw.

coach

Hunter
This A.G. Russell one handed knife ends up in my pocket more often than not. It's light, thin and can actually be opened and closed with one hand. The little nub by the hinge operates the lock release. Not the strongest knife in my stable, but it holds an edge and the blade shape works well for most things.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
Always carried a Boy Scout/Swiss Army knife-in my Army days a "demo knife". It seems the can opener and the screwdrivers saw the most use.

When a youngster my grandad gave me a Case that looked very much like the top one in Bob's post. I had that till I acquired a Cammilus TL-29 in 1960. Later on in the military I again acquired a stainless Cammilus four blade. I carried that till I was presented with a Victorinox Boy Scout that is in my pocket as I type this.

caryc

Hawkeye
I gave up carrying a pocket knife due to the cheap denim material used in all jeans now. Even a small knife always riding the same place in a pocket results in worn white thread showing and before long you have an actual hole there.

They are certainly not like the days when one "had" to wash a new pair of Levis before wearing them.

pete44ru

Hunter

I've had a bunch (or two) of pocket knives for many years - here's some of mine:

ga3Ftwkl.jpg

I1ZN40Gl.jpg

1enLgpBl.jpg

vFwQZgxl.jpg

3zAdjpDl.jpg

DSCN1585.jpg

The number of my EDC pocket knife varies (usually 3, different blades/sizes), depending upon my mood and/or perceived need for the day - but both the Spydeco Police & the Hammer Brand (USA) serpentine folder each ride in different front pants pockets daily.

I had a few really nice knives as shown above, but I always seemed to lose them. Decided that was not a good thing. So I moved on to this little baby . . .

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/BU425BK/buck-425-minibuck-folding-knife-black-valox-handles

This is my "if I have my pants on" knife. It weighs essentially nothing and actually fits quite nicely in the "watch pocket" on jeans.

No, it's not of the quality or "style" of the old-style knives, but it will hold a sorta decent edge, adequate for the uses such a knife is put to. For more serious activities I have a Leatherman on my belt.

caryc said:
I gave up carrying a pocket knife due to the cheap denim material used in all jeans now. Even a small knife always riding the same place in a pocket results in worn white thread showing and before long you have an actual hole there.

They are certainly not like the days when one "had" to wash a new pair of Levis before wearing them.
I have been wearing Wrangler jeans for many many years and have NEVER worn a hole in the pockets or worn through the material. Perhaps another brand might solve your problem. :D :D

Enigma

Hunter
Seems like I lose them before they obtain that well-worn patina. I've spent 20 years on active duty, moving every 3-4 years (or less), and then several years working for various defense contractors. The last 10 years as a DOD civilian, moving every 4 years. Things disappear in moves all too often, and I have had knives fall out of my pocket when climbing into or out of tanks, crawling through the dirt and mud, etc. I'm currently carrying a 2-year old Case Trapper that's beginning to grow on me. the blades are stainless, and won't hold a good edge as long as I'd like, but it does work and it was a Christmas present.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
I carried my Boy Scout knife then demo in my pocket with a lanyard clipped to my belt. Nowadays I carry a multitool-usually a Leatherman-and a folding knife, usually a Buck 110 in belt sheaths.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
caryc said:

Last pair of Wranglers I bought had instructions to wash three times before wearing.

Bob Wright

Del J

Single-Sixer
This a neat post. I carry a Buck 704 rosewood panel. I bought it in 1992. Have a few Case's that have a turn.

Coop

Blackhawk
I have carried a personalized (Curt) small Victorinox multiblade pocket knife for 30 years now. One knife blade, one cap lifter/screwdriver, one scissor blade, one corkscrew, one tiny screw driver, and several small items including a ballpoint pen stick.

It has helped me and many others thru knife wielding solutions. God Bless.

eveled

Hawkeye
I've been carrying a Buck 110 everyday for over 30 years. I've worn two out, that I sent back to Buck to be repaired. (Great service BTW.) I've worn out at least 10 sheaths. When I can, I carry a fixed blade instead of the Buck.

The last ten years or so, I added in a small Swiss army knife to my watch pocket. Mostly for the scissors and nail file, but am surprised how usesful the tiny blade can be.