On Pocketknives...............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I carried a two blade Queen for the last two years of High School. The
Senior year saw a hole get worn in my jeans and someone else has that knife.

I then carried a three blade Buck (that I still have) for a bit over ten years.
I switched to a Swiss Army tool kit long enough ago that I have worn the
shield off the side. As said above, it's amazing how convenient it is to have
those extra blades for specific purposes. 8)

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Fox Mike said:
caryc said:
I gave up carrying a pocket knife due to the cheap denim material used in all jeans now. Even a small knife always riding the same place in a pocket results in worn white thread showing and before long you have an actual hole there.

They are certainly not like the days when one "had" to wash a new pair of Levis before wearing them.
I have been wearing Wrangler jeans for many many years and have NEVER worn a hole in the pockets or worn through the material. Perhaps another brand might solve your problem. :D :D

Roger that. I wear nothing but Pro-Rodeo Wranglers, various colors on work days (we can't wear blue jeans to work but no one has said anything about my colored Wranglers in 13 years), regular blue denim off work. I carry a large stockman or trapper pattern pocketknife every day and have yet to wear out a pocket. I too, prefer traditional pattern knives to the tacti-cool folders, though I won't argue their practical appeal. Guess I've just been using the older styles so long they are what I prefer. I just got a new Buck 112 Friday, ordered from their custom shop. S30V steel instead of their usual production steel, nickel silver bolsters, cherry wood scales, stainless pins and with my initials etched on the blade. It's a beauty, to be passed to one of my grandsons one day. Black leather sheath for belt carry - it's a little big for a pocket but I have carried similar knives in a pocket when I felt the need for a bigger knife.

eveled

Hawkeye
Sounds like a nice 112. I have a fondness for Bucks Cherrywood, when paired with nickle silver especially.

I've quit carrying a "pocket knife". After packing a lockback (that was NEVER sharp) for decades, I've converted to a folding utility knife clipped inside my right front pocket. The one I use comes from Menards, has a lifetime warranty, locks open and closed, and after a bit of break-in flips open/closed one handed. Although not as sturdy and a solid frame utility knife, it's good enough most of the time especially if the user pays a bit of attention to keeping a good blade in place.
I break or lose about 4-5 per year. The broken ones get replaced hassle-free but the lost ones don't grow. At $5 (+/-) I don't shed any tears at the lost ones--I can lose a $25 folding knife just as easy.

Carried some sort of pocket knife for most of my life. At my age and condition it is not so much for personal defense when I am otherwise unarmed but just for getting little tasks done like opening a taped carton or cutting a zip tie on a new item. I carry a Kershaw Dividend clipped to my left front pocket. Small and thin enough to not get in the way, but solid and reliable and easy to open with only one hand. I think I paid about $30 and probably won't buy another knife as long as this one stays in one piece.

Mike J

Hunter
I have carried one pocket knife or another since I was about 8 years old. The last 10 or 12 years I have switched to the ones many here don't like. I have been carrying a Kershaw Blacked Out I found clipped onto a ceiling wire on the job about 4 years ago ever since. I like it because when working I can grab it, open it, & cut with it with one hand while holding whatever I am working on with the other. My primary reason for carrying a knife is its usefulness as a tool but if I had no other option I don't believe I would be above using it for defense.

coach

Hunter
I agree that a knifes usefulness is generally as a tool. Not too thick or heavy and a clip to keep it handy. One hand opening is a big plus. A bulky uncomfortable knife in my pocket makes me want to leave it in my tool box or drawer.

I've always liked the yellow delrin handles, for some reason.

413852348.jpg

That Case trapper in the picture was given to me by a family friend for my high school graduation over 40 years ago. I treasure it because of the friendship it represents, but I can't carry a carbon steel pocketknife as a daily carry knife; my body chemistry will tarnish them in short order. Not just "patina" but bad corrosion, especially in the summer. The Kissing Crane trapper trapper is one of my favorite everyday carry knives, along with a Case sowbelly stockman with jigged bone scales. Also like that little Kissing Crane sodbuster jr. pictured.

I grew up with Boy Scout and Stockman knives. I was always whittling and carving so the blades of a stockman filled my needs best. I loved the old Boker steel that took and held an edge that could curl fingerprints when stropped out. Of course they were brittle like glass so I had to be careful not to break them. Now I carry a Kershaw pocket clip folder with the flipper for easy one handed use when needed and a Leatherman. Having a Leatherman means I am never without tools. The Juice is small enough for a pocket. Mine lives in the level pocket of my "Carpenter" Pants I even find myself pulling it out in church to tighten the hymnal rack or kneelers. Trimming a mig wire, changing a battery, opening an impromptu can in the field etc. A man without tools isn't.

I've been carrying a Buck 110 everyday for over 30 years. I've worn two out, that I sent back to Buck to be repaired. (Great service BTW.) I've worn out at least 10 sheaths. When I can, I carry a fixed blade instead of the Buck.

The last ten years or so, I added in a small Swiss army knife to my watch pocket. Mostly for the scissors and nail file, but am surprised how usesful the tiny blade can be.
Scissors and a file are always handy for a field manicure.

I like some of these old threads. This one is nice. I'm glad most of the pictures are still linked up.

I like pocket knives, but I just don't carry one. If I do I'd lose it in a day. I know this from past experience.

Oh! And someone mentioned the Cub Scout Camillus knife. My dad in cleaning out his garage, gave me an old one of those. It's blue and has some corrosion. I'm not sure what to do with it. I'll post some pictures… maybe later today.

eveled

Hawkeye
I like some of these old threads. This one is nice. I'm glad most of the pictures are still linked up.

I like pocket knives, but I just don't carry one. If I do I'd lose it in a day. I know this from past experience.

Oh! And someone mentioned the Cub Scout Camillus knife. My dad in cleaning out his garage, gave me an old one of those. It's blue and has some corrosion. I'm not sure what to do with it. I'll post some pictures… maybe later today.
Pencil lead is good for knocking off heavy rust without scratching the metal. Or a flattened spent brass cartridge.

Then oil and rub with a rag.

I guess I must fall into that younger group that uses a pocket clip knife. I never go anywhere without one. Like Leroy Jethro Gibbs says, Rule #9.
I've disliked heavy stuff hanging in the bottom of a pocket, change, keys or knives. So I use a clip knife in my back right pocket, easy to get to with strong hand and it must be sharp and open quickly with one hand. Also ride low in the pocket and the clip tight so it won't snag sitting down. And I use it many times a day.
Oh, I also have regular pocket knives from Dad and Grandad, Case, Barlow, Swiss, butterfly from overseas duty, and even my orange switchblade jump knife with the paracord cutter.
Have one also the twin of 'eveled' showed above.
Right now I'm carrying this one but am hoping for a SOG or Spyderco this Christmas

Attachments

• Crescent.jpg
    Crescent.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Crescent clip.jpg
    Crescent clip.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 43