OMBH .45 Convertible Help: BOUGHT IT

Help Support Ruger Forum:

meh92

Bearcat
I would like to shoot it a little before doing anything. I like the Bowen Rough-Country rear sight so maybe I will install one instead of repairing the blade.

If I decide to chop the barrel, it probably won't be below 6". I just might hunt with it and my state has a barrel length requirement and that rules out 4-5/8". I would also like to retain a longer sight radius and good ballistics. I like the look of the banded front sight on a 6" barrel.

I have an OMBH .357 with a 4-5/8" barrel and it really balances nicely. It definitely is a nice barrel length.

EDK

Single-Sixer
I'd be inclined to switch parts rather than alter the originals...keep them for possible restoration to original configuration some time OR possible sale to someone else contemplating same.

I really like the 5.5 inch SUPER BLACKHAWKS and VAQUEROS, so that would be my choice of barrel lengths. I had my old model SUPER front sight converted for inter-changeable pinned in sight blades. 5.5 inch also makes it easier to get holsters.

Having one of the top pistolsmiths in the country fairly close is a real luxury...although being a regular visitor to his shop could be expensive!

I bought a 7.5 inch 45 convertible old model awhile back, but haven't done anything with it. It, like a few others, may get a change in address.

meh92

Bearcat
While I understand the desire to keep original parts available, the barrel is corroded in its final inch. I have no issues with chopping it just for that reason. Everything else would be bolt-on and I'd probably sell off the parts I don't use to help fund the project.

I just saw a picture of a 5.5" Bisley and I loved it. Asthetically, 6" and 5.5" really do it for me. I'm not too worried about holsters. One of my good friends makes cutom leather rigs and specializes in western rigs. I plan on looking him up whenever the project is finished. He does it as a hobby but I can't convince him to ramp up production. He's a retired LEO and a former co-worker. He is enjoying his retirement and doesn't want a workload hanging over him every day. I guess I can understand that.

Yes, having Mr. Horvath nearby (about 45 minutes) has been somewhat expensive over the past few years. He is a country gentleman and does excellent work for a very fair price. He is right at the top of my list. I'm not ruling anyone else out, though.

My first plan is to get it up and running and see how it shoots. Rugerguy lives right around the corner and he said he can help me with my rear sight. Since it won't be too much of an investment I'll pop in a rear blade and see how it shoots.

Thanks for the advice and input everyone.

meh92

Bearcat
Rugerguy was kind enough to help me out with a rear sight blade. He also mic'd the throats, checked the timing, endshake, and gave it the once over. It seems to be in better condition that I first suspected. It really is nice to have an expert look it over.

Most of the throats in both cylinders measured 0.4515 with one standout 0.453 in the .45 Colt cylinder. Everything else seemed fine. While it is a shame about the finish and external abuse, I am hoping it will be a good shooter. I'm knocking around all sorts of ideas about barrel length and whatnot, but first I will shoot it a bit and see what's what.

Many thanks to Rugerguy for taking a couple of hours out of the day to help out a fellow forum-member and friend. You are a true gentleman.

mindustrial

Single-Sixer
I hope that one .453 chamber does not give you any accuracy fits.

I had a 5.5" Stainless Vaquero that would put 5/6 in one hole at 15 yds... but that one chamber consistently 1" right & 1" high.... Even though I marked which one it was... (actually just kept an unprimed piece of brass in it) I couldn't stand having a 5 shot revolver.