OM Blackhawk .41 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

digi-shots

Bearcat
I'm guessing this might have been refinished based on the blued "recoil" shield circle.

I have someone local that is interested.. what would be a fair price?
Thanks!

(Sorry if this is a duplicate post.. I tried to delete, but it deleted both posts)

Johnnu2

Hunter
Personally, I'm not convinced that it has been re-blued. However, if it has been re-finished, AND given that it has been converted to the safety mechanism...BUT given that you have the parts to convert it back to its original configuration, I think that four things are to be considered in 'fair price':
1) if the barrel length is the more desirable 4 5/8"(seems the shorter bbl is more preferred to many)
2) it's a four-digit gun
3) the .41Mag has become a 'cult' (read desirable) caliber amongst aficionados
4) the fact that you can sell it locally and avoid shipping (and depending on the state, FFL fees)
I would venture a very uneducated guess that a 'fair price' would be $600 (with the parts included); I would also guess that you could get at least $800+ with a tiny bit of marketing i.e. selling on our Forum; more on the dreaded auction sites.
Used to be you couldn't give away a .41Mag........... not so anymore!!!
IMHO,
J.

hittman

Staff member
I cant guess about the finish …. I'm just not experienced enough to say. This doesn't look like an obvious reblue.

I'd wonder IF it is re-blued, did someone send it back to Ruger for that and the conversion at the same time??

digi-shots

Bearcat
Thanks, J

The barrel length is 6 1/2". Overall the gun looks spotless.. original stampings still look sharp and no obvious pits or deep scratches or nicks.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I'd wonder IF it is re-blued, did someone send it back to Ruger for that and the conversion at the same time??"

Ruger has done a bunch of them. And they look darn near perfect. Just look at the older guns that turned "plum" then were sent back, re-blued by Ruger, returned and later turned again. Those are hard to tell they went back w/o the paperwork. I can show you examples of a PROPERLY done job of a reblue that many would swear are not a reblue.

As to value,, looking at the pictures & all, I'd value it as a fair buy or sell at about $600-$650.

hittman

Staff member
41 Mag is one of my favorites. Excellent ballistics …. Very fun to own and shoot.

digi-shots

Bearcat
Thanks for all the reply's….

The fella that is interested is looking for a .41 with a 6 1/2" barrel length and plans on hunting with it..
I don't know if he'll find a nicer one (almost too nice to hunt with, but that's his call).

from the looks of the pictures you added since I replied earlier it is obviously been shot BUT any and all the markings of this are covered by blue, NICE job heck if I did not know any better reminds me of Walters work ( my old partner) some of you have seen our work from days gone by.......too nice to try and remove the frame, you may just booger screws of whatever, it is what it is and if to be used for hunting and it is converted,better for in the woods "as is" and yes still worth at least $650 maybe even more throw in the "parts " bag.....good luck and Merry Christmas.....(y)(y)