OM Blackhawk .357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SBHRSSSSS

Bearcat
I just picked up an OM .357 Blackhawk, Ser. # 114XXX. Its very clean, though a couple of spots made me wonder if it had been re-blued at some time in the past. The shop said no, as it was a consignment . It came with a holster, and does show some very light holster wear, very light. Original grips, its very clean. Unfortunately no box. It says .357 Magnum. If it was a convertible, would it say .357/9mm? Just trying to understand what to look for.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
The frame is marked the same (357) regardless of if it shipped with both calibers. If the cylinder is scribed with the last 3 digits of the serial number, it's a good chance it was a convertible. But it could also mean it went back to the factory for work as they did mark them. However, in that SN range the convertibles are scarce I believe. Most convertibles had the later prefix 30,31 SN after 1968. A factory letter will tell you if it was a convertible if you really must know. A call to customer service may give you that info as well. It will have an X after the model number.

contender

Ruger Guru
The only marking Ruger used when they made a convertible was the ink stamp on the SHIPPER,,, used outside the box. The spare cylinder in 9mm will have the last 3 digits of the serial etched into the face of it with an electric pencil.
A letter is the best way to determine if it was shipped as a convertible. Phone calls,,, maybe,, maybe not. There were 2 variations of convertibles like this. One with a 4-5/8" bbl, and one with the 6-1/2" bbl.
BKH-34X (4-5/8") & BKH-36X (6-1/2")
Serial number range of the non prefix guns; 104433 to 132597.
Estimated quantities; BKH-34X = 500 BKH-36X = 1500

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
I bought my OM .357 Blackhawk, sn 30-07419, at a K-mart store for $98. this was in the late 60's or early 70's. The salesperson asked if I wanted the 9mm cylinder that went with it for 10 bucks more. Being young and dumb I said no, and have regretted it ever since. Contacted Ruger several years later in hope that they may have it stuck away somewhere, but no joy. Live and learn.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
ilikerams said:
I bought my OM .357 Blackhawk, sn 30-07419, at a K-mart store for $98. this was in the late 60's or early 70's. The salesperson asked if I wanted the 9mm cylinder that went with it for 10 bucks more. Being young and dumb I said no, and have regretted it ever since. Contacted Ruger several years later in hope that they may have it stuck away somewhere, but no joy. Live and learn.

That "salesperson" was trying to beat you out of $10... :shock: ......the cylinder came with the gun at no charge.......... :roll:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
HAWKEYE#28 said:
ilikerams said:

That "salesperson" was trying to beat you out of $10... :shock: ......the cylinder came with the gun at no charge.......... :roll:
Right! And I bet this cylinder got tossed because of nothing to put it in. Or a paperweight.

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
HAWKEYE#28 said:
ilikerams said:

Thanks for the info, I never thought of that :shock: I was sad about it but now I'm pissed although it's about 50 years too late. :x Still got the gun and box tho, is it possible to find a 9mm cylinder for it like they do for the .22/.22mag. or is it a big hassle to fit it?

street

Hunter
ilikerams said:
There is another possibility. It's possible that the K-mart store had two .357 Blackhawks. One with just the one 357 mag. cylinder and another one with both cylinders. For another $10.00 he would sell you the one with both cylinders. He may not have been clear that he was talking about another gun?????

ilikerams said:
I bought my OM .357 Blackhawk, sn 30-07419, at a K-mart store for $98. this was in the late 60's or early 70's.

Out of curiosity, what's the barrel length on that one?

And yes, you can occasionally find an Old Model 9mm cylinder. Put a "want to buy" ad in the Classifieds here.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ilikerams

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
ilikerams said:
I bought my OM .357 Blackhawk, sn 30-07419, at a K-mart store for $98. this was in the late 60's or early 70's.

And yes, you can occasionally find an Old Model 9mm cylinder. Put a "want to buy" ad in the Classifieds here.

The barrel is 6.5". I did look in the classified and some other places too, they want more for one than what the gun cost. Plus I have three other 9mms so I don't really really need one. Would be nice to have one though.

ilikerams said:
Ale-8(1) said:
ilikerams said:

The barrel is 6.5". I did look in the classified and some other places too, they want more for one than what the gun cost. Plus I have three other 9mms so I don't really really need one. Would be nice to have one though.

Thanks. Likely shipped in April, 1969.

:mrgreen: