OM Blackhawk .30 carbine in 4 5/8 inch?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldwest

Bearcat
Was this critter ever produced in this configuration by the factory? I have the opportunity to buy a 98% 3 digit (1968) OM Blackhawk in .30 carbine. Not sure I am in love with the caliber, but I always wanted a 3-screw, this gun is local and in great shape (unconverted). But, the barrel is 4 5/8 which not only is not ideal for the caliber, but I didn't think Ruger ever made them in anything other than 7 1/2. It appears to have an aluminum grip frame and ejector rod housing and an un-numbered cylinder. Is this gun legit as it sits or has it been 'modified'? What kind of value do you give it? As a shooter I know .30 carbine is not popular or fun (loud), but as a collectable with a 3 digit # and maybe a rare barrel length, I think I may never see one again.

Thanks

krw

Blackhawk
Can you only imagine the ball of fire! Shooting that at night would be a Hooot!

oldwest

Bearcat
radicalrod said:
So what's the serial number ????? RR

3xx

So, I guess it has had a barrel replacement. The gun looks like it's never been messed with. Looks like any other 98% OM in 4 5/8, I guess the gunsmith did a good job, but I suppose collector value is now nil. Yes, one could have a correct vintage 7 1/2 in barrel put back on it, but the cost of the barrel and then qualified gunsmithing to have it done right, costs of shipping a firearm back and forth etc. would add up to be many hundreds. Not sure it pays. As a shooter, hmm, maybe, but .30 carbine in a short barrel....I would suspect very inefficient, would leave a lot of unburned powder/lost velocity, a large fireball and leave you and the guy next to you deaf.

Well, that would just make it a good candidate for reloading some not-quite-so-enthusiastic ammo.

I "adjust" all my ammo to the intended task, and pleasant backyard shooting is quite possible with the .30 Carbine. Realize that its case is not all that different from a .357 mag . . .

Some 100-grain or 110-grain bullets and some Unique, Green Dot, or even Trail Boss, and you're in business. There are others, of course.

;)

oldwest

Bearcat
Anyone care to throw out a ballpark value? Does it have ANY collector value? I mean 3xx and unconverted, unusual caliber, 98% bluing BUT non original cut barrel.

Chance

Buckeye
Sounds like an interesting gun that would be fun to own at the right price. Collector value el zippo, but the cool factor would be around the 450 range for me

contender

Ruger Guru
Well it is a 3 digit gun, so if it were "correct" it would have some collector value. But, it's a shooter since it's been modified.
I'd say about $400 max.

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
oldwest said:
Anyone care to throw out a ballpark value? Does it have ANY collector value? I mean 3xx and unconverted, unusual caliber, 98% bluing BUT non original cut barrel.

I think little or no collector value but my cool factor is bigger than some. If it becomes available I'm interested. See what you can snag it for. Could be a bonus in there for you.

8pointer

Single-Sixer
I would like to know the full serial number. Could be worth more to the collector(s) trying to match numbers up.

Latest posts