OM .45 ACP only?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
I was at a smaller gun show yesterday and saw quite a few Ruger single actions, but nothing that I couldn't live without, at least at the prices being asked. One gentleman was asking $850 for an OM 4-5/8" Blackhawk with only the .45 ACP cylinder. The SN indicated it shipped in '72. I wasn't aware they made a .45 convertible with a 4-5/8" bbl back then? I guess you learn something new every day. I passed, of course. It was barely "shooters grade". There were actually a couple dozen Ruger single actions for sale, many more than I saw at the "big" Florida gun show last weekend. I just didn't see anything that "blew up my skirt", especially at the prices being asked. I might go back this afternoon, late, with cash in hand.

Attachments

• IMG_6047.jpeg
    IMG_6047.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
More rare or scarce than the OM flattops.
Holy grail gun for some.
Very much under-appreciated as a collectable by many people.

hittman

Staff member
Only made 2 years I think.
Way low production numbers.
I think some of the price books will tell you to add $250 - $300 if it's the 45 caliber with 4 5/8 barrel.

gunzo

Hunter
My charts say the first 500 were made in 70, but it seems the catalog number wasn't assigned till 71.

A wonderment for me for a long time.

hittman

Staff member
My GUESS …. If it's in 80% bluing condition, I would think its worth $750 but deduct $200 or so for the missing cylinder.

I'd for sure buy it for $500 and lots of guys probably wouldn't hesitate at $600.

Hankus

Blackhawk
I went back to the show Sunday afternoon but the "private seller" that had this pistol wouldn't budge from his $850 asking price. The same promoter is having another show in two weeks about 40 miles away so I'll be back. I will say, this "smaller" promoter attracts a lot more sellers with "non-black" pistols and rifles than the other, larger promoter.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Some "dealers" fall into the category of traveling museum. They have same inventory show after show, year after year.

He's got a fairly rare ( scarce ) gun there, just not a really nice one.

contender

Ruger Guru
According to the RENE Price Guide,, a MINTY gun like that with both cylinders is worth $1100.00
Condition, followed by the missing cylinder,, makes that gun worth a lot less.
At best,, IN MY OPINION,, would be $700. Add a spare cylinder for about $150.00 and you have a good shooter.

Hankus

Blackhawk
According to the RENE Price Guide,, a MINTY gun like that with both cylinders is worth $1100.00
Condition, followed by the missing cylinder,, makes that gun worth a lot less.
At best,, IN MY OPINION,, would be $700. Add a spare cylinder for about $150.00 and you have a good shooter.
The fire also cooked off ~2000 rounds each of .300BO & 9mm …

Latest posts