Old School Meat Cleaver Makeover

Help Support Ruger Forum:

countryboy

Single-Sixer
I bought this old Briddell cleaver a while back on ebay and thought I'd post some pictures of what I did to it. It is a pretty big cleaver and has an 8" blade, about 14 3/4" OAL. It was in really good shape compared to some I have seen and I think I got a pretty good deal on it. I see a lot of these with a good bit of damage to the spine from pounding on them and this one had a little close to the end but not much. It had a nice patina on the blade but I do plan to use it occasionally so I wanted to clean it up good so it would be sanitary. Who knows what this thing has cut over the years. The handle was solid but did have a few gaps between it and the tang and was held on by rivets.

I'm not sure how old it its but a little research showed that the Briddell company started in the late 1800s. There are quite a few Briddell cleavers out there but most I have seen are stamped " Briddell Solid Steel " and mine has a shield stamped on it and says " Briddell Of Crisfield ". I have seen others with the shield like mine but not near as many as I see with the solid steel stamp so I think this one is pretty old. I did see one on another forum stamped like mine that someone said had been in their family for a hundred years but I have no way to confirm the age of mine for sure. Anyway I think it's cool and will come in handy chopping up ribs for the smoker.

Basically I removed the handles and washed it good with soap and water. I sanded off the old patina and then used an sos pad and some bleach water to make sure and kill any bacteria. I used vinegar to force a new patina and then sent it to Matt of ML Knives to be re handled. Matt even put a nice edge on it for me for no extra charge. Below are some photos showing the progress.

This is what It looked like when I received it.
fkpts6.jpg

2ytpamg.jpg

I removed the handles and used a Dremel to sand it down.
f1jf2q.jpg

wvr5o5.jpg

I then hand sanded it.
2iqideh.jpg

Here is a close up of the stamp.
aahusg.jpg

Forced a new patina on it with vinegar.
2u7ysqu.jpg

Note the dark line half way up the blade. I think this is the temper line. I asked Matt of ML Knives about it and he agreed that most likely it is. Matt said In the old days a lot of blades were done this way and he thinks it makes for a better blade. He tempers his knives in a similar way and I can attest to the quality of Matt's knives because I own several.
i1cgvl.jpg

Aged tiger maple handles put on by Matt from ML Knives.
2v2gz8p.jpg

2rx8r36.jpg

New sheath.
jgs19e.jpg

Very nice. It looks like it was re handled when you got it or do you think it was original? Did you clean up the spine or leave it as is? Those old cleaver are nice. I have an old one, never thought about a new handle. Hmmm.

You know I ordered two knives from Matt up there in NY. I just got an email yesterday. He said he just started on them. It is a kitchen knife and a matching pairing knife. I guess now I know why he has such a back log huh? Too busy with your work? :D

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Beautiful. Amazing what can be brought back to life with a little work.
Also love the new sheath.

countryboy

Single-Sixer
Thanks folks.

Kevin said:
Very nice. It looks like it was re handled when you got it or do you think it was original? Did you clean up the spine or leave it as is? Those old cleaver are nice. I have an old one, never thought about a new handle. Hmmm.

You know I ordered two knives from Matt up there in NY. I just got an email yesterday. He said he just started on them. It is a kitchen knife and a matching pairing knife. I guess now I know why he has such a back log huh? Too busy with your work? :D

I think the handles were probably original or if they were replaced they were pretty old. The wood was pretty dry and there were gaps between the wood and steel. There was no epoxy used to hold the handles on, just rivets. I figured there may be all kinds nasty stuff behind the handle so I contacted Matt and then I removed the old handles. I'm pretty sure Matt like most makers uses epoxy on the handles which I like because it seals them to the steel so water and dirt can't get behind them.

I did clean up the spine with a file a little but it didn't need much. If you look in the first two photos right above the hole in the blade you can barely see the dings in the spine. Very minor compared to some I have seen. Overall it looks like this one was taken care of pretty good.

Matt's knives are awesome! I currently own three and also just received two custom Hudson Bay Camp knives from him that will be Christmas gifts for my two sons. They have the same handles as the cleaver. I'll post some pictures after Christmas. I also ordered a custom kitchen knife from him a few months ago that will be for my wife and recently ordered two (a large and small) custom straight back knives for myself. His turn around is pretty long but that actually helps make it easier for me to be able to order what I want from him as it gives me plenty of time to pay.

toysoldier

Hunter
I enjoy seeing a old tool salvaged and "reborn." Years ago I picked up a no-name 5 1/2" cleaver with a deteriorated handle. Cleaned off the rust and replaced the handle with a 6 1/2" piece of mulberry, held with epoxy and solid copper rivets. Not as pretty as the one shown here, but it handles the very occasional chopping job.

ncrobb

Single-Sixer
Nice cleaver! In reference to the darker area on the bottom of the blade its called differential heat treat. Basically the maker only quenched the cutting area of the blade when he heat treated it. You end up with a hardened cutting edge but the spine and handle area are still "soft". It makes the blade less prone to breakage and very tough.

Robb

stevemb

Hunter
Very nice to see old steel appreciated. Is that Crisfield Md. ? If so I bought a Bowie there many yrs ago as a boy. Carvel Hall if the memory banks are functioning.