Old Model Blackhawk 3 screw 44mag Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roland45acp

Bearcat
Hello,
I am going to sell this Old Model Blackhawk 3 screw 44mag with 7.5 inch bbl for a friend. He explained to me that the gun was in a flood , was sent back to ruger and refurbished. When Ruger sent it back, they did not send it back in the orig box. The gun seems to be in " new " condition, with no line on the cyl, ect. I did not look to see if it had been converted tho.
Can any one here tell if it has been converted by these pics? and what would it be worth on todays market?
Thanks to all who have the time to answer.
Roland
Picture1072.jpg

Picture1073.jpg

Picture1074.jpg

Picture1075.jpg

Picture1076.jpg

Picture1077.jpg

Picture1078.jpg

Picture1079.jpg

Picture1080.jpg

Picture1082.jpg

Picture1084.jpg

Picture1085.jpg

Picture1086.jpg

Picture1087.jpg

Picture1088.jpg

Picture1089.jpg

Picture1083.jpg

Sugar River

Buckeye
Yeah, the steps on the hammer give it away, it's been converted.
Your friend should have got a bag containing the original parts along with the revolver when it was shipped back.

In the condition shown, $300 - 350. If he has the old parts, add $150.
Pete

dlhredfoxx

Single-Sixer
Definitely converted... and from the pics I see the tell-tale signs of rust at the base pin entrance and exit hole, base pin, on the front of the cylinder frame and at the cross bolt holes, the ratchet end of the cylinder, as well as inside the grip frame... so as to what the inside looks like is a guess until it's fully disassembled... I'd say Sugar River's estimate of value is right on the mark, assuming the lock is clean.

$350 sounds like what I would be looking at if in the market and if as described. It is now just a nice shooter, and as such there should be no problem selling for your friend if the price is kept reasonable. If you have the OM parts bag, you can list the gun for around $500 and if no interest as a package, break the parts bag out of the offer and sell serepately. May find a faster sale that way, but I'd try to keep together first.
Sad it went through a flood and needed to be refurbished, and sadder still the box is now history.

opos

Buckeye
Recently purchased one in "unconverted" shape....old model....barely fired and no wear marks anywhere...had a non original box and shipper....about as nice as they come...Was $400.....I'm not sure but in the above post I also think I see spots of rust...may be factory lube but on the grip frame it sure looks like some rust along the edges of the frame.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Even with the old parts, I really don't think I could pay $500 for a Super that had been through a flood and then refurbished. That should get you a nice original. I'm thinking more like $300-$350 with the old parts.

flatgate

Hawkeye
A serrated trigger was installed in the Old Model Super Blackhawks.
BluedBreech.jpg

The blued "breech face" indicates the gun's been refinished, as well.

Just a few "clues" for those interested...........

flatgate

RKBA4CA

Single-Sixer
'Rust' on the gripframe in the 3d picture should clear with a toothbrush soaked in ATF.
That could expose pitting, but IMO that's better than telltale rust.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
flatgate said:
A serrated trigger was installed in the Old Model Super Blackhawks.
flatgate

The early retrofit hammers were faithfully grooved as well but I don't know for how long. They made great triggers for OM 3 screw guns with an installed steel NM or Old Army grip frame w/wide slot.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Hey, a guy can learn sumptin' new every day. I've NEVER seen a conversion kit trigger that was serrated...............but I've seen a lot of Super conversion triggers with the "transfer bar link" removed. :D

flatgate