Old age bites.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnp

Bearcat
A couple of months ago I FINALLY got the No. 1 in 45-70 I had wanted since I was about 15 years old. I rounded up the stuff to make ammo for it and headed out to put some holes in paper. I learned that my eye sight simply will not let me shoot open sights any more, it simply wouldn't work.
I don't hunt anymore and now I'm wondering if it's worth it to put a scope on a rifle that I will only shoot at paper.
Old age bites.
I'm finished kicking the dirt now.

rugerguy211

Single-Sixer
Yup. What they said.
Scope it and have fun. Just shoot longer distances if you feel the need for a bigger challenge.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
Try a low power shotgun scope. I had one on my 45-70 guide gun and loved it. They don't look out of place on a Number One. Keep living that dream.

700xcr

Bearcat
johnp said:
A couple of months ago I FINALLY got the No. 1 in 45-70 I had wanted since I was about 15 years old. I rounded up the stuff to make ammo for it and headed out to put some holes in paper. I learned that my eye sight simply will not let me shoot open sights any more, it simply wouldn't work.
I don't hunt anymore and now I'm wondering if it's worth it to put a scope on a rifle that I will only shoot at paper.
Old age bites.
I'm finished kicking the dirt now.
http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=6128&ST=Ruger%20Ghost%20Ring%20Peep%20Sight#.WEQr6eArLC3

gasbag

Blackhawk
I've had to put a red dot on every pistol I have that will accept one.
I simply cannot use iron sights any longer.
To top that off I've had 4 surgeries this year on my left eye.
I'm left handed and that was my dominant eye.
Now I'm trying to learn to switch eyes so I can shoot again.
Maybe archery might be worth looking in to................. :(

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I have a 2x7 vortex on my 45/70 and it shoots better than I can. Hade a ghost ring on mine but my eyes got to old for it.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Your gun was made for old guys with bad eyes, that's why it came with scope mounts built in.

johnp

Bearcat
Thanks for the encouragement guys.
I will either have to put a scope on it or sell it to someone that will use it more than I will. :cry:

mak

Bearcat
Put a scope on it. The list of things one can't do as well as one gets older is so long that to concede defeat when alternatives are available is paramount to not getting out of bed. Remember : with age comes wisdom. Hopefully!