OK, time for a stupid question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

What is the reason for a four die set from Lee where the rest have three die sets? This is for 9mm Luger, and they are carbide die sets. Lee advertises their factory crimp die. Doesn't the RCBS set also provide a taper crimp? Isn't this an extra step? What is the value?

Paul B

Hunter
Most loading dies can have the seating die adjusted so that the bullet gets crimped as the bullet is being seated. Some people prefer to crimp as a separate function which requires either readjusting the seater die for the exra function or buying a separate die to do the crimp. I believe the Lee set may give you the option of going either way, I've always done my handugun round using the three die set and nave had a problem. While I do have a few Lee die sets, my preference is for RCBS or Redding and even have Lyman and Horady dies sets. All my handgun dies sets are RCBS, FWIW.
Paul B.

contender

Ruger Guru
Great info above!

The .9mm uses a taper crimp. And Lee has a solid reputation for offering "factory crimp dies." MANY buy them. Due to the fact of the need for a taper crimp, it's offered as a 4-die set.

No such thing as stupid questions. None of were born with all the knowledge in the world. We learn by asking.

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
What info you have already read above is accurate. Yes, most all dies can seat and crimp in one step. I like to seat and take the bell out with my seating/crimping die and then fine tune with the Lee crimp die. For 9mm I use the book provided numbers since that case chambers at the mouth of the case. Crimping the 9 is critical.

I have several brands of dies but still like the Lee crimp die. You do know they can be purchased separately as well as in the 4 die set? In addition to being able crimp exactly to what I want, I like the fact that is swages my rounds so I do not have any unusual bulges that could cause a clambering issue. Just recently I was getting low on some 148 grain WC's I use for competition and wanted to crank out a few boxes. I got in a hurry using my single stage and didn't have the brass pushed all the way forward in the shell holder. The bullet went straight into an angled brass and left a noticeable bulge. I just run them through the Lee die and it takes care of my hasty mistake.

Last edited:

s4s4u

Hunter
Be careful with the Lee FCD if you shoot cast as it is known to swage down lead bullets when too much crimp is applied. The case will often spring back but the bullet will remain indersized resulting in loose neck tension and possibly leading of the barrel. There is nothing that the Lee FCD can do that my RCBS seating/crimping die can't.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've always been confused with Lee's terminology i.e. "factory crimp die"... seems to me that many factory cartridges appear to be roll crimped. So confusion reigns. Prior to the "factory crimp" terminology, I just bought RCBS taper crimp dies for my .45ACP, 9mm and .30Carbine reloading....and dumped them into my RCBS green boxes with the other three dies.
I understand "taper crimp".... and have for MANY years...
JMHO,
J.