Ok last ? Today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Being on fixed income I try to get all the info ican before I buy. Will almost vaquero bisleys 357 shoot good to better groups. I know depends in shooter. This example is not fair but to let you know I've always been a decent shooter. With my super Redhawks 44 mag scoped at 50 yards I shot 5 shots off one sand bag and the one ragged hole was covered completely by a Quarter.

Are you referring to a comparison between Vaqueros and Blackhawks? What are you comparing a Vaquero to?

With some work, a Vaquero can be made to shoot one or two loads accurately. I have several and they have their place, but I sold my first one too quickly out of aggravation with the sights. I've since returned to them once I learned how to deal with it. I think Vaqueros shine when the barrel is short and the distance is also short.

An adjustable sight revolver like the Blackhawk family are a lot less frustrating because it's easy to adjust windage (and elevation for different and distances). A stainless Blackhawk 6.5" 357Mag or Super Blackhawk 7.5" 44Mag are excellent starting points and would probably have more staying power in your collection.

If you're more into long range, I'd go with a 10.5" 44Mag (iron sight). If you wanted to use a scope, I'd just stay where you are with the big Super Redhawk.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I'm not comparing just curious about accuracy of vaqeuro bisley.Ive also been reading about poi being iff usually low left. Low is ok and I've read what's being done by shooters and smith's to cure the left poi.
My super red hawk story was just to say I can shoot
Fairly decent.

I've owned a bunch of Vaqueros and most of mine shot low and left but some were dead-on windage-wise. I credit this to Ruger improperly clocking the barrel if done after the front sight was installed, or not installing it straight up in the first place. I can look over the top of some of mine and see clearly it's not installed straight up. There are a few work-around. First off, though, they all shoot low until you file the front sight down for the load you want at the distance you want to sight it for. It's best to do this last after load development. Getting back to the windage issue, some will claim is all the shooter's fault or how you hold it (or whatever). I've owned and shot enough and experimented enough (e.g., trying different grips, including big hand-filling ones) to know that it's not me, especially when some are off and some aren't. If you determined you're not causing it and want to correct it, you could hook up with a competent local gunsmith with proper vice to reclock your barrel. This would be trial and error. Some can even mount it to their truck and go to the range with you! He might need to further address barrel-to-cylinder gap, though. Another popular way is to replace the front sight with a dovetailed windage-adjustable sight. I find these "unsightly" IMO (no pun intended!). Another way, albeit risky, is the route I've taken, and that's by hitting the barrel with a rubber hammer while the sight is laying against a hockey puck. I cover each with thick paper to protect the finish and do it carefully. It's also trial and error and usually requires minor changes each time. You could also send the gun and your target back to Ruger and I think they can help correct it (might be the best option for most). Lastly, if you only have one Vaquero, you could just get used to your sight alignment by making the front sight align to the inside-right or inside-left with your rear sight when shooting. I used to do this until I acquired too many Vaqueros. I suspect most owners just do this.

After you find the load the gun likes best and decide on a distance you want that load regulated to, then file your front sight. If you use a flat bastard, measure the sight height and go slowly (again, trial and error).

In the end, you'll probably want to keep it and might even elect to have an action job, base pin, custom grips, etc. They're capable of great accuracy given the sight radius and practice. The good thing is that they do have fine sights. (I hate 0.125"-wide front sights on short barrels!)

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Any gun is just a machine. Accuracy is determined by the ammo, the shooter and how the machine likes it. Barrel stock is the same for the Vaquero and the Blackhawk.
Some guns just enjoy every type of ammo and others can be pickier than a woman in a dress shop.
The biggest thing is that the Vaquero has a fixed sight system and can take work to adjust. A Blackhawk has adjustable sights and can be easily adjusted.

Rclark

Hunter
Will almost vaquero bisleys 357 shoot good to better groups.
Maybe .... Maybe Not... No guarantee.
You can find lemons in any caliber and type of revolver. That said, contender is right on. Every gun is going to be different. You have to find the right load combination for 'your' gun. Make sure the gun dimensions are right (ie. throat is slight larger than bore, bullets fit the throats, no constrictions in barrel, throats line up with bore, forcing cone correct, etc.) . Lots of things attribute to 'accuracy' or expected accuracy. The gun, load, and the shooter have to come together. Now as contender alludes to, you might have to adjust the sight and/or barrel to get a Vaquero or New Vaquero to shoot to POA. Ie. if you have a one hole group 4" low, you have to file the front sight to bring up the POI to POA. Normally what a person does is find a load he/she wants to use the most in the revolver and then adjust the sight and or barrel accordingly for the distance desired. My Vaqueros and New Vaqueros in .45 Colt and .44 Special have all been tweaked (barrels turned, sight filed) for shooting the 'general' loads I want to shoot in them. When I pick up any of my guns, I want it to shoot to POA. No Kentucky windage for me! Ie. If a gun shoots a 1" group at 50 yards (accurate), but misses a tin can because it shoots 3" right..... Yuck..... :)

Last edited: