NOVAK SIGHTS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eveled

Hawkeye
Are the novak sights on the sr1911 really top notch combat sights? Are they considered the wide aperture or the standard aperture? I've read were some people don't like them because they are beveled on the front side wich makes racking the slide on a pants pocket one handed impossible. Has anybody upgraded the sights on their sr1911? If so what did you go too? I don't have a problem with them mostly just curious if they really are considered to be the best. Thanks, ED.

eveled

Hawkeye
Thanks loaded. Over 90 views and only 1 response I guess it was a stupid question? Ed

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I've never had to rack my slide on my pants, so not sure. I'd say the chances of my having to do so are pretty much nill and the chances of even getting into a situation in which I would need to do that even...... niller. ;)

I do know that Novak has a solid reputation and that I really like their sights.

eveled

Hawkeye
Thanks slim. I was thinking the same thing about the pants pocket thing seems pretty remote. It was the only bad comment I could find about them in my Internet search. So I guess that says a lot in and of itself. No matter how good something is there is usually somebody who has something bad to say. I'm glad Ruger chose to use them I like them too. Ed

Richbaker

Blackhawk
John Browning designed the 1911 with a recoil guide that did not protrude with the slide fully back so that the slide could be pushed down on a flat surface to "rack" in a new round.... Just in case the user lost the use of one hand/arm during a gunfight. The modern, stupid, full length guide rod nullified that ingenuity.

Tipper

Bearcat
For your info as said previously the Novak are great, but on this forum and 1911 forum I have read the front site is not or a modified site by Ruger some people don't like. Me I'm fine with it. Rear site is Novack.

Precision32

Blackhawk
I have a full sized Springer with a Novak rear sight and Springer front sight. I have no issues with them.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Richbaker said:
John Browning designed the 1911 with a recoil guide that did not protrude with the slide fully back so that the slide could be pushed down on a flat surface to "rack" in a new round.... Just in case the user lost the use of one hand/arm during a gunfight. The modern, stupid, full length guide rod nullified that ingenuity.
Learn something new everyday. I knew there was a reason I didn't like them other than thinking they're simply unnecessary. ;)

revhigh

Hawkeye
You can always put the edge of the front of the slide against something and then rack the slide ...
not worth worrying about in my opinion.

The back of the front sight would have nothing to do with anything in terms of racking the slide

REV

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
Consider me adding to the 'view' count, but not 'helpfully' adding to the post count. I am just learning here. No experience, advice to offer!

eveled

Hawkeye
ruggedruger said:
Consider me adding to the 'view' count, but not 'helpfully' adding to the post count. I am just learning here. No experience, advice to offer!

No problem, that was just my way of bumping it back to the top. I'm sure you have alot to offer and alot to learn just like the rest of us. Thanks for all the replies. Mostly I was interested in the novaks for another project that has passed me by..Ed

thetrio_94043

Bearcat
I like the Novak sight and have no issues with them. Some of the newer tactical rear sights have a ledge to allow the sight to rack the slide (10-8) comes to mind. I think Kimber started the trend with the SIS pistols for the LAPD special unit.