not Ruger but a 1911 .357 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sliclee

Single-Sixer
I followed ad to advertisement for Coonan guns because It said a 1911 in .357 magnum. I continued and watched it being fired using same ammo as my Ruger .357 FULL HOUSE AMMO. HUH
Which caliber in a 1911 is more devastating, a hot 1911 in 45 +p or .357 magnum. What say you?

dakota1911

Buckeye
They are not a true 1911 hence the longer grip and different barrel lockup. Now that they have returned I am thinking I might buy one. Hickock45 does a nice review of one and I think he field strips it.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=hickock45+and+coonan&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=6320A0361627AB9F82446320A0361627AB9F8244

In 1911 land you would compare them more to a 10mm for sure like this Dan Wessson which has a fully ramped barrel in it.

I had a great post (included pics and range review) about my Coonan .357 on here somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. Sadly I sold that gun to fund another project. I don't miss it too bad, but it was a cool gun.

If you like the Coonan ".357 1911" make sure not to sell it, they are great guns...

Very accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Used ones (?) for right at $1K, new ones for $1,300 to $1,600.
S t r a n g e beaver tail on the grip safety.
Has my eye gone out of calibration, or is the grip angle different?
$80 each for spare magazines.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Im sure oor maybe not everyone has thought of the following; we walk along with wife and it happens, you pull your gun and before you know it,its over, he's down, dead.
Cops come ,etc, tell stories, what happened,witnesses, etc.
Cop say OK, give me your gun,you say,"why", evidence sez he, hand it over. Your favorite 1911, you love it, you keep it in a custom box and this cop wants it, you'll never see it again.
What happens after the trial, can you get it back, do they keep it and choose who gets it, what are my rights after the shooting, do I have to give it away, does the law say that HELP

bsnake

Single-Sixer
sliclee said:
Im sure oor maybe not everyone has thought of the following; we walk along with wife and it happens, you pull your gun and before you know it,its over, he's down, dead.
Cop say OK, give me your gun,you say,"why", evidence sez he, hand it over. Your favorite 1911, you love it, you keep it in a custom box and this cop wants it, you'll never see it again.
What happens after the trial, can you get it back, do they keep it and choose who gets it, what are my rights after the shooting, do I have to give it away, does the law say that HELP

So what do you carry? Hi Point? :)

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Isnt a .38 super a similiar round ballistically but properly rimless so it works better in a 1911?

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Coonan is fine pistol , but not a 1911. Different design , different grip , baalance, feel.not saying that'sinherently bad , make your decision on its own merits.

As far as "m357 eqiv" performance on a true 1911 platform , the ctg referenced above is probably the 9x23Win, true rimless , 45K pressures. At least with light to med wt bullets.

bsnake said:
sliclee said:

So what do you carry? Hi Point? :)

Lol this us Rugerforum! Nothing less than a P95!

Actually I carry a Sig P938 in a cargo pocket. Cocked'n'locked. I've got two so if I give this one up, I'm good.

Biggfoot44 said:
Coonan is fine pistol , but not a 1911. Different design , different grip , baalance, feel.not saying that'sinherently bad , make your decision on its own merits.

As far as "m357 eqiv" performance on a true 1911 platform , the ctg referenced above is probably the 9x23Win, true rimless , 45K pressures. At least with light to med wt bullets.

Mine ran great with everything from 125 - 158. FMJ, JHP, LRN. SWC, anything..

My least favorite feature of the gun was the grip.

Same for the Desert Eagle I just sold. Terrible grip.

Will use the cash $$ for a S&W 500 or 460.