NorthStar Hard Cast Bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Biggs300

Bearcat
I recently bought a Ruger #1 45-70 and I'm having a difficult time finding hard cast bullets that are in stock and ready for delivery. Has anyone tried NorthStar hard cast bullets? Although the meplat is a bit smaller than I wanted, they certainly look like a decent bullet.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Never used their bullets, but if they are the only bullets that you can find, you can touch the meplat on that bullet to the side of a bench grinder wheel and easily increase the meplat and not reduce the total weight much at all. I have done this much in the past when I did not have exactly what I wanted...it is easy and it works.

Biggs300

Bearcat
Any Ruger, thanks! They are located in N. Minnesota and I did go ahead and place an order. The company was very responsive and they have already shipped. I placed an order with another company (that will remain unnamed) over 3 weeks ago. They charged my credit card two weeks ago but I still have not received my order. What is concerning is that they are not responding to my emails asking for an update.

Jim, thanks for the tip. Once I receive them, I will fire up the bench grinder and give it a try. I never would have thought about grinding to increase the size of the meplat.

Biggs300

Bearcat
The NorthStar bullets were delivered today (quickly) and I have to say, the castings are clean and look good. The individual bullet weights are consistent (based a random check). I will be working up some loads this weekend…finally! Also, and the meplats were a bit wider than what I expected and I think they may work fine. If not, I'll pull out the grinder. Thanks for your input.