No, dear, I am not hoarding...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
I buy brass for my guns whenever I see it, and have money available for it. I shoot a lot, and brass doesn't last forever. Eventually, you have to throw it away and use new brass. My last purchase of 45 Colt brass was about 500 rounds of used 45 Colt brass from my LGS priced at .05 apiece.

Just out of curiosity, I inventoried my brass and loaded ammo, and the results surprised even me, and I bought/loaded the stuff...

.45 ACP - I stopped counting brass at one - 1 gallon jug of used brass. That one gallon jug held 1473 rounds of brass, and I have 3 - one gallon jugs mostly full. I also have about 700 rounds loaded, mostly with 200 gr. Hornady XTP, 200 gr. rnfp lead, or 165 gr. rnfp lead.

.45 Colt - 385 rounds of new brass, mostly Winchester. 1123 rounds range brass of various head stamps, 1050 rounds loaded, mostly with 255 gr. rnfp, or 240 gr. Hornady XTP Mag hp.

.45 Schofield - 350 rounds of new brass, all Starline. 200 rounds loaded, either 205 gr. rnfp lead, or 255 gr. rnfp lead.

.44 S&W Special - 200 rounds new brass, all Winchester. 100 rounds used brass, mix of Winchester and R-P, 150 rounds loaded 240 gr. rnfp lead

.44 Remington Mag - 100 rounds used brass - half R-P, half PMC. 100 rounds factory ammo, Federal 240 gr. jhp.

.243 Winchester - about 500 rounds loaded, mix of 100 gr. Nosler Partitions, 62 gr. Barnes Varmint Grenades, Hornady 58 gr. V-Max, and Hornady 100 gr. Interlock btsp. 423 rounds once fired - mix of head stamps.

I haven't invetoried my BP stuff, or my .22 LR ammo. I may do that later, if I get over being sick before I have to go back to work. I also haven't inventoried stuff I currently do not have guns for, such as 9mm, 40 S&W, .38 Special, .357 Mag, .380 ACP, 6.5x55mm, .300 win mag, 30-06, .308, .300 Weatherby Mag, and all those other calibers for which I have a couple of rounds, gleaned from desert shooting spots.

Heck, I have a single round of .32 RF Long I picked up out in the desert where someone had been shooting.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Huhwhat? said:
I buy brass for my guns whenever I see it, and have money available for it. I shoot a lot, and brass doesn't last forever. Eventually, you have to throw it away and use new brass. My last purchase of 45 Colt brass was about 500 rounds of used 45 Colt brass from my LGS priced at .05 apiece.

Just out of curiosity, I inventoried my brass and loaded ammo, and the results surprised even me, and I bought/loaded the stuff...

.45 ACP - I stopped counting brass at one - 1 gallon jug of used brass. That one gallon jug held 1473 rounds of brass, and I have 3 - one gallon jugs mostly full. I also have about 700 rounds loaded, mostly with 200 gr. Hornady XTP, 200 gr. rnfp lead, or 165 gr. rnfp lead.

.45 Colt - 385 rounds of new brass, mostly Winchester. 1123 rounds range brass of various head stamps, 1050 rounds loaded, mostly with 255 gr. rnfp, or 240 gr. Hornady XTP Mag hp.

.45 Schofield - 350 rounds of new brass, all Starline. 200 rounds loaded, either 205 gr. rnfp lead, or 255 gr. rnfp lead.

.44 S&W Special - 200 rounds new brass, all Winchester. 100 rounds used brass, mix of Winchester and R-P, 150 rounds loaded 240 gr. rnfp lead

.44 Remington Mag - 100 rounds used brass - half R-P, half PMC. 100 rounds factory ammo, Federal 240 gr. jhp.

.243 Winchester - about 500 rounds loaded, mix of 100 gr. Nosler Partitions, 62 gr. Barnes Varmint Grenades, Hornady 58 gr. V-Max, and Hornady 100 gr. Interlock btsp. 423 rounds once fired - mix of head stamps.

I haven't invetoried my BP stuff, or my .22 LR ammo. I may do that later, if I get over being sick before I have to go back to work. I also haven't inventoried stuff I currently do not have guns for, such as 9mm, 40 S&W, .38 Special, .357 Mag, .380 ACP, 6.5x55mm, .300 win mag, 30-06, .308, .300 Weatherby Mag, and all those other calibers for which I have a couple of rounds, gleaned from desert shooting spots.

Heck, I have a single round of .32 RF Long I picked up out in the desert where someone had been shooting.

My brother has over a thousand pieces of empty brass for my 32-20 and twice again that for the .303 Brit. I won't even attempt to guess his inventory of .308, '06, 243 and 44 magnum. I suspect if I summoned up the courage to go where he does his reloading there would be 45-70 and 50 Barrett brass as well. It's rumored he has plastic garbage cans and dozens of five gallon buckets full.

You seem to have your affliction under control. Remember, moderation in everything, even moderation.

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
Considering I have never owned anything chambered in .458 Lott, or known anyone who owned anything in .458 Lott...

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
Just got back from my 2nd favorite LGS. Looking for .44 Mag brass. No such luck, but did score this...

MA3V8824-small_zpsd6de0ea0.jpg

6gun

Hunter
Hoard? the lie-beral lefties would call that a arsenal. :lol:

6gun

Hunter
I like to have at least 1000 rounds of brass for every cal. I shoot.

6gun

Hunter
anachronism said:
Why only 1000? Most guys around here measure brass by the 5 gal bucket.

Cause mine is reloaded after it's fired, don't need no 5 gal. buckets of brass that are more than I can ever use sitting around taking up space rotting away, now that would be hoarding.

I could come on here and say I have ten gallon buckets of brass and ya'll going to one up me and say you have 20 gallon ones so whats the use?
Can't shoot buckets of brass. :lol:

LightningMan

Bearcat
(7000+.45acp), (9,000+.40S&W), (14,000+9mm), (3000+.38special), (3500+5.7x28mm), (3000+.380acp), (500+.308win) and its all loaded ammunition, as I don't usually leave empty brass lay around for long. LM

6gun

Hunter
If you have that much I take it you never shot any and just keep loading, just the weight from that hoard of ammo would bust a hole in my floor :lol:

Selena

Hunter
6gun said:
If you have that much I take it you never shot any and just keep loading, just the weight from that hoard of ammo would bust a hole in my floor :lol:

Let me see, 8 boxes of 50 for the 32-20 revolver/carbine. 12 clips of ten for the .303 Enfield. 10 clips of 8 for grandpa's Garand, 30 boxes of 20 for the 45-70 Marlin/swing block Springfield. 28 boxes of 50 for my little Colt Commander in 38 Super. Hmmm, Ed has been busy this winter- Looks like about 35 boxes of 20 .308 for hubby's Remington and 28 of .223 for his EBR. A Mason jar (quart) of 44 Magnum for the Ruger/S&W that neither of us have shot in forever. (I really have to strip them down and give them a good cleaning.) Hmmm, 5 boxes and 3 magazines of 9mm for hubby's Browning. 27 rounds of 45ACP, hubby must have been at the range yesterday instead of working on machinery as he told me. Half a brick of .22 LR for Donna's clone of the 30 cal carbine, the Marlin 39A and my Woodsman. Since I just bought two bricks it would appear hubby took Sissy to the range with him.

Since our floors are native Indiana oak we don't have to worry about the weight. In the winter months my brother reloads and we use them the rest of the year. At the homestead where my brother lives, the floors are also oak and it's not uncommon for him to have more loaded ammunition stored than Fort Campbell. You really should consider finding better housing. :(

6gun

Hunter
Selena said:
6gun said:

Since our floors are native Indiana oak we don't have to worry about the weight. In the winter months my brother reloads and we use them the rest of the year. At the homestead where my brother lives, the floors are also oak and it's not uncommon for him to have more loaded ammunition stored than Fort Campbell. You really should consider finding better housing. :(

My floors are oak with 2" car decking under that but still a wood floors only holds so much weight and have a load rating people don't seem to think about that till things start caving in, sounds like you have enough ammo for one or two good trips to the range, perhaps you need to start up a ammo hoard of your own.

Selena

Hunter
6gun said:
Selena said:
6gun said:

My floors are oak with 2" car decking under that but still a wood floors only holds so much weight and have a load rating people don't seem to think about that till things start caving in, sounds like you have enough ammo for one or two good trips to the range, perhaps you need to start up a ammo hoard of your own.

well, I'm not going to start a my floor is better than your floor argument here. Enough to say when my great grandfather built this place it was intended to hold shelled corn. Great grandmother wanted a place for one of my great uncles to live. When you have 4 x 8 oak floor joists set at rough 24" center and 2 x 6 oak sub flooring you don't worry too much about load unless your hubby starts bringing in railroad rail. With as much ammunition available I don't think he's quite that foolish. :p

6gun

Hunter
Selena said:
6gun said:
Selena said:

well, I'm not going to start a my floor is better than your floor argument here. Enough to say when my great grandfather built this place it was intended to hold shelled corn. Great grandmother wanted a place for one of my great uncles to live. When you have 4 x 8 oak floor joists set at rough 24" center and 2 x 6 oak sub flooring you don't worry too much about load unless your hubby starts bringing in railroad rail. With as much ammunition available I don't think he's quite that foolish. :p

Sounds like Greatgramps built the floor similar to how mine is built. :wink:

Selena

Hunter
6gun said:
Selena said:

Sounds like Greatgramps built the floor similar to how mine is built. :wink:

He built to last, the foundation is high density concrete over field rock. I don't even like to think how deep it may be knowing it was dug by hand.

K. Funk

Single-Sixer
I might be accused of hoarding 8mm, but I bought it all when it was only $50/k. I have no problem shooting it up, but I will not sell it as I could never replace it for what I paid for it (which may make no sense to some folks). I have a belt fed 1919, while only a semi, it can eat up 1k in a session no problem. I'm also sitting pretty with .308, .303 and 7.62x54R and some others.

krf