No. 1A 7x57 Seeking opinions, advice, & guidence

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G2

Hunter
Recently a good friend gifted me a LNIB No.1A 7x57, this would be my 1st and only #1. I'm really not a rifle type guy but do have a few.
(4-#3's,mini,sr556,99/44,5-10/22,RL,Rem141,cz527 and a bastard Weatherby :roll: )
This gun is from ~1999/00. Apparently No. 1's did not come with Scope Rings back then.
This brings me to my questions;
Run the gun open sights or scope it?
If scope it... I'm leaning this way because I have 50+year old eyes.
I have a Leupold V2 3-9 matte, use this or? I also have a Leupold VX3 1.75-6x32, currently on my Weatherby 7-08, would replace w/the V2 3-9
I need to get some rings, just buy the Ruger Rings (4's for the 3-9 or 3's for the VX3...32mm)
-Or- is there something preferred (Warne have been suggested)
I have Rings from Hunters, 99/44 that I will never use, Do others have Rings sitting around? I never see rings offered FS in the Classifieds, are they out there?

I would like to take a deer with it, and shoot it upon occasion.

Any and all comments, opinions, advice & guidence appreciated.

picketpin

Buckeye
Use a scope. Use the smaller scope and use Ruger #3 low rings. Warnes SUCK!!! You get what you pay for. If you want Warns I have a set I'll send you for free. I've tried just about every-bodies "Ruger" rings over the years, Leupold, Burris, Warne etc and none are any easier to use and some are actually harder to attach with BS angled screw heads as the attachment in the slot. The 7x57 "A" is a small light rifle and deserves a small light scope. I have a Mini 4x on mine

Until recently and maybe even today, if your #1 came with sights from the factory, it didn't come with rings.
I'd guess the cost to Ruger for sights was about th same as a set of rings?

I haven't used mine in about 20+ years, but it was the rifle dad used to kill his last deer, so it's here to stay.

Good luck and enjoy.

RWT

hammie

Single-Sixer
@G2: I was hesitant to respond, because after viewing some of your past posts, you are more knowledgeable than I am. Plus, picketpin has already replied and his opinions about the shooting sports can be taken as gospel (I cannot speak to picketpin's opinions about women and drink, but I would be willing to bet that they are also sound). Anyway, since I have the exact same rifle (a 7x57, 1A, bought new in 2003) I thought that I can at least share my experiences.

1. Scope or not?: Scope it. I'm 67 and, although your eyes may be better, at the age of 57, my eyes had long since stopped focusing in multiple planes. Although I endured much criticism, after I reached 40, I had to scope my '94 winchester and marlin 336 in order to shoot at my best.

2. What scope? Well...if you want to put a 4-16X with a 50mm objective on it, then go for it. However, I have to side with picketpin when he suggests that a smaller, compact scope looks and works best on a 1-A. I have a burris, compact 3-9 on mine and it works fine. (I think the burris compact scopes are now called "timberline".) If you want to use what you have, your vari-X 3, at 2-6X would be almost ideal for dear hunting. At 11 inches long and with a 32 mm objective, your vari-X would look great. I also have a redfield revolution 2-7, mounted on my 1-A, .303 british. The redfield is about the same size as your leupold and it doesn't overwhelm my .303 rifle.

3. Rings: I always use ruger rings. I can never figure out what height I need from those specification sheets, and so I usually buy the scope first and then buy the rings. On my number 1's, I buy the next height up from the very absolute lowest that will work, just so I have more clearance to the breech. I've found the extra one or two tenth's of an inch in height, doesn't make a significant difference in eye/head alignment for me, but does make a difference in fumbling with loading.

I'm glad you found that rifle. You will enjoy it.

Edit: @G2: I'm just curious about the chambering of your remington 141 pump. 30, 32, or 35 remington? If it's .35 rem, then I really envy you. Although, .30 remington is a classic cartridge, too.

G2

Hunter
Thanks for the replies guys.

hammie; past post's and rifles,,, there are not many of those :D My intrests really fall in the Single Action Handgun area.

The Rem 141 is a 35cal april/1949 it also came from this same friend, I have helped him sell some of his collection (due to health reasons) When we pulled the 141 out of the safe I was just amazed at the blueing and condition of the rifle. I spent a few minutes looking and admiring it and then put it away, He also had the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and it was a early gun, one of the first that were imported, admired it and put it back in his safe. I bought a extra safe from him, moved it home, opened it up and there were both of these guns, with a note, pay me when you can, The prices were very reasonable.

The Weatherby is USA from the custom shop, stainless and the barrel used was some special made Hart 7mm08 that the customer wanted used in the build, Weatherby did not want to use it but made an exception and charged extra for it!! (I have the letter/documation) This was built for just over 3k, it's trick and sweet and shoots like a dream. I meet this gentleman thru a WW2 community service project, keep a eye out for him and help him here and there, he learns my love for firearms. One day ~2 years ago wanted me to have the rifle, I really didn't want it as it was just not my interest but felt it would hurt his feelings if I didn't aquire it. So I thought I would just buy it (again at a very reasonable amount) and move it along sometime down the road. Took it deer hunting last year and ohhhh is it sweet. It's a keeper. :roll:

So my intro into rifles is really quite wierd. The mini is a 182 series (circa 1981) left over from my dads passing, they couldn't find the box so the ffl/estate gave it to me. I have yet to shoot it.

The SR556carbine,,, another friend needed some money, called me up told me it has a problem and sold it to me for 1k. Came with some reloads and 1000 rnds PMC. Problem; he went out to shoot it and it jammed the very 1st shot, He gave me the ammo and I figured out it was bad reloads, COL too long. I'm not really a black rifle guy but it is fun to rabbit hunt with. Never has jammed on me. :D

The #3's got a deal on the 44 and then the 375,3040,4570 and really not looking for the 22H &223, need to get serious about parting ways with them all, as they all have boxes and 99%+ I'm a shooter/ accumulator not a collector.

99/44 Another right place right time story w/ cash, it's LNIB

Have had my RL for years, early fixed choke IC/M all blue, Quail gun.

10-22's well just can't have too many plinkers... :wink:

So as you can see my rifle acquistion has come quite by accident.

hammie

Single-Sixer
@G2: Wow. That's an amazing collection, even for someone who is interested in rifles...let alone someone whose primary focus is in a different shooting area and picked up the rifles by happenstance.

According to the remington web-site, the production of 141's stopped in 1950. So a late production .35 remington in that condition is special rifle. Hang onto it.

G2

Hunter
Right now I have some fmj plinker and some Remington 140gr factory. If I start shooting very many rounds (100+) I usually start reloading, fine tuning. As long as my friend that gave me this gun hangs around he likes to work up loads and we go shooting together, as of late he has not been up for it. I'm easy.

picketpin

Buckeye
I forgot to say mine is a first years "A" in 7x57 Wilson barrels that caused all the stink about REALLY long throats. The only thing mine shoots worth a damn are 160s or heavier. If you want "patterns" shoot 120s. ;-)

It is however one of the pretties #1s I own.

Enjoy

Ross

johnyakima

Bearcat
My 1979 Ruger No. 1A in 7x57 sports a Leupold Vari -x 111 2.5 X 8 scope (if I
had a smaller scope I would use it). With Ruger rings. I reload with the Hornady 162 gr. A-Max bullet
for deer and elk. This rifle is my pride and joy.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Just my opinion, but nothing looks classier on these little 1A's than the Leupold 2x7's or 2.5x8's. Anything bigger starts to overwhelm the rifle, appearance wise.

picketpin

Buckeye
My personal favorite scope on the "A"s and "AH"s is a 2x7 Leupold Mini?compact with the 28mm forward objective. It just seems scaled correctly for the rifles. "Oddest" small #1 I saw was an "AB" with an 8x32-56 that almost reached the muzzle and of course was in high rings . For a minute I couldn't grasp why it REALLY looked odd, then I understood it was also a 30mm scope rather than a 1" tube. Not sure how it worked or how well it shot but to my eye it was just ...........Unattractive/not pleasing to the eye. If I remember correctly it was a 270W.

Ross

OIF2

Single-Sixer
El Numero Uno said:
Just my opinion, but nothing looks classier on these little 1A's than the Leupold 2x7's or 2.5x8's. Anything bigger starts to overwhelm the rifle, appearance wise.

+1 on that.
Bob

dfletcher

Blackhawk
G2 said:
Thanks for the replies guys.

hammie; past post's and rifles,,, there are not many of those :D My intrests really fall in the Single Action Handgun area.

The Rem 141 is a 35cal april/1949 it also came from this same friend, I have helped him sell some of his collection (due to health reasons) When we pulled the 141 out of the safe I was just amazed at the blueing and condition of the rifle. I spent a few minutes looking and admiring it and then put it away, He also had the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and it was a early gun, one of the first that were imported, admired it and put it back in his safe. I bought a extra safe from him, moved it home, opened it up and there were both of these guns, with a note, pay me when you can, The prices were very reasonable.

My 141 has a Williams side mount on it. If you've not pulled one of these apart the receiver slides upward & a bit to the rear to separate the two sections of the rifle. The inclination is to lift up straight, that doesn't work. And there's a trick to getting the bolt back into the receiver - press forward the spring powered tab on the left side of the bolt, otherwise it will never go in. I also have a CZ in X39 - accuracy is so much better than I ever imagined.

Regarding scoping the No1, Burris makes a neat 4.5 to 14X Timberline using the same sized tube as their 3 to 9X scopes - and it has an adjustable objective. They're an "about $275.00 scope" but I grabbed a few off SWFA's "Sample list" for $199.00 each. The front bell is 32mm, so it's not the best for dusk & dawn hunting. But for most shooting and especially plain old target shooting it does fine. That it's not a huge scope, because the No1 is a fairly small rifle, makes it look good too.

Tnhunter

Bearcat
My #1A in 7X57 wears an older Leupold M8 4X scope and my #1RSI in .270 wears a Leupold 2-7x33. For my eyes, it worth the time & effort to search out a similar such scope in gloss finish for a nice #1. YMMV