NM Blackhawk gate detent spring gone bad

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Staying home with nothing special to do can cause trouble. I took apart my NM SS Bisley Blackhawk .41Mag. I wanted to play with my new 'third hand' tool from RW grip frames (https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstores.com/loading-gate-spring-depressor.html ). I knew that the gate detent spring was weakened by me last time I had it apart. I think I must have over compressed it (before getting the third hand tool). Anyway, it just wouldn't go back together correctly and I finally took out the only part that I thought was contributing to my difficulty. I compared the somewhat squashed spring to a brand new spring that I had in my stash. It was WAY over compressed so I installed the new spring and all is well. THE QUESTION IS: Is it feasible to repair this old spring? I normally wouldn't bother since Ruger will send me another one for my stash, but since I'm under covid house arrest, I thought I get into more trouble. So.... is there a way to 're-spring' the spring...???
THANKS,
John

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Sure.
Anneal it. Heat it to pretty high red and cool it as slow as possible.
Bend it to the correct shape.
Harden it. Heat it to mild red. Quench it in oil.
Do not try flexing it now it now , it will probably break.
Temper it .Cook it in the oven at about 500 degrees for about 1 hour.
Try it see what you got. Who knows , it might work .

Will it be as dependable as a new 5 dollar part , probably not.
But you can kill an afternoon and have some fun.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks needsmostuff.... that's what i was wondering about..... Not sure if I'm going to try it because I have one coming from Ruger for free.... But I have a feeling I will try it one day when I can use the wife's oven without her knowing :)
THANKS AGAIN,
J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
Just bend it back to the original shape, that's all you have to do.

Jim, I tried that, but it wouldn't hold any tension. Then, before I threw it away, I kept playing with the old spring and it finally just snapped.

I put a new one in from my stash and it worked fine. I've 'heard' that Ruger may have had some QC probs with that particular spring.... the new one that I received to replenish my stash has a completely different 'color' to it.

J.