NIB SS Bisley 45Colt/45ACP for $549 a good deal?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GAR

Single-Sixer
Have the opportunity to purchase a NIB 45 Colt SS Bisley dual cylinder (45 Colt/45ACP) in a 5 1/5" barrel length from a local shop. The dealer stated that he had purchased a quantity of them from an exclusive dealer.

So with all this said and done is $525 a good price?

Tom

stmry

Single-Sixer
I would say excellent deal...like getting the ACP cylinder free.
If he would ship one to my FFL for that price I would buy it in a flash.
Have fun and let us know how you like it.

Dale53

Blackhawk
That price is excellent. Further, that particular revolver is a DANDY! I bought one last year.

It is finished extremely well. I did find one problem with mine and two of my friends found the same (we three ordered the same revolver at the same time from the same dealer). All six of the cylinder throats were undersized. They worked well with jacketed bullets but did NOT work well with cast bullets. When the .45 Colt cylinder was installed it leaded seriously within thirty shots and became inaccurate. The .45 ACP cylinder would not even chamber my .45 ACP cast bullet reloads.

However, not to worry. I reamed all six cylinders with a "made for the task" reamer set and now we have custom cylinder throats that shoot cast bullets like a custom built Bullseye revolver. I also had a trigger job done and mine is NOT FOR SALE, PERIOD!

Those of you who may not be willing or able to ream the throats (they will almost certainly need it) I would just simply ship off the two cylinders to "Cylindersmith.com" for a nominal fee and you will be HAPPY!

Now, there are those that will rave that they should have been that way from the factory. While there is some truth to that, the fact is, over the past hundred years or so, .45 Colt cylinder throats have varied from anywhere from .457" to .449" inches. In my not so humble opinion, .4525" is the "proper" dimension. Throats that are too small are easily corrected. Too large throats are a different matter altogether and often require a new cylinder or just living with mediocre performance. I will put my Ruger SS Convertible up against any .45 Colt for performance and accuracy. Yeah, it did require a small bit of work, but I consider that "small potatoes"...

FWIW
Dale53

GAR

Single-Sixer
Dale 53 you are correct about the throats. I sent both my Redhawk and Blackhawk cylinders to BOWEN to get done. They were done at .4525". I just wished I new about Cylindersmith.

Since Cylindersmith also does other calibers I have a couple that need to be tuned up. They are on other Redhawks that I have.

The guy I am getting the Bisley from still has some left for those that are interested. He will ship and is a very fine individual to deal with. If anyone is interested just shoot me a PM with your info.

Tom

schloss

Single-Sixer
I'd go for that. I paid $500 once all was said and done for a blued blackhawk in 45 last year. I was really looking for a stainless revolver, and I wanted one with a 4-5/8" barrel, but had to settle for the blued version with a 5-1/2" barrel.

If I had the money to spend on it, I'd buy it in a flash. Still need to find one in stainless for myself....

22bond

Single-Sixer
That is a good price.
Saw a used one sold for $550.
That is even cheaper than SS 357/9mm.

actionflies

Bearcat
Can someone give me the dealer info so I can call them to see if they will sell and ship the gun to my dealer. Thanks!

GAR

Single-Sixer
Here is a link to his information:

http://fflgundealers.net/smallwoods-firearms.html

The guy is great to deal with and will do what it takes to make a smooth transaction.

And yes, I told him to squirrel one away for me!!!! Picking it up on Saturday!!

Tom

Additional information from the dealer is that he has the last of them that were produced. So if you desire one you may want to contact him.

GAR

Single-Sixer
Picked mine up early this afternoon.

Sandy stated that there are only a couple of them left. So with that being said, those that want them at a good price had better hurry and get one!!

Headed to the man cave to clean my new wheel gun!!!!!

Tom

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
Good score. Barrel writing location, grip material/color, etc--anything new or extra cool about this batch?

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Buy two. I have never had much success with the Bisley gripframe from the draw. However the .45 convertible is the most accurate, of its type, revolver Ruger makes. This gun is on the medium frame. I'd put a Blackhawk or Hunter gripframe on it. With the long barrel you could have one with each cylinder loaded all the time.

Just make sure of the cylinder throats and the angle of the forcing cone for maximum accuracy with lead and jacketed bullets. Yup. I'd get two. k Calthrop

GAR

Single-Sixer
Nothing new but again the throating problem is rearing it's ugly head.

Why can't they get this straight after all these years?

Have four at .447 and two at .449!!!!

The cylinder will be going out in the mail Monday to Cylindersmith for correction.

Tom

deac45

Single-Sixer
psyclone66 said:
Good score. Barrel writing location, grip material/color, etc--anything new or extra cool about this batch?

I got mine a few years ago when Acusport had a run of them made. Warning is on the bottom, rosewood grips.
My out the door price was $500 so today $525 doesn't sound bad at all.

deac45

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I had two that I used for CAS and they served me well for many years. I replaced the with a brace of New Vaqueros. I kept one that was an exceptional shooter and sold the other. I bought mine used but they were not that used when I bought them. I paid $450 each for them and sold the one years later for $550 used.

Don't understand why they are so cheap, but I would run back to that store and get 'em.

Dale53

Blackhawk
Here's the reason I like mine. I shot this right after I reamed the cylinder throats. This is with the .45 ACP cylinder (shot before I sighted the revolver in) at fifty feet indoors (it was COLD outside with LOTS of snow on the ground):

img072.jpg

I have since fired it outdoors at 25 and 50 yards and both cylinders shoot extremely well with the NOE (mould manufacturer) clone of the Lyman 454424 250 gr Keith AND the Mihec moulded clone of the RCBS 45-270-SAA bullet (both hollow point and solid point).

This makes a FINE revolver. I no longer deer hunt (getting too old to drag a deer out of the woods) but I cast some 45-170-SAA hollow points to a shooting buddy and he took a deer from a tree stand. Even with normal pressure .45 Colt loads it did EXCELLENT work.

Dale53

GAR

Single-Sixer
Dale53, I have exactly the same molds that you have described. I just got Mihec's "Ruger Only" mold in the mail last week. Needless to say it is a thing of beauty.

I agree about dragging the deer out of the woods and have pretty much given up hunting due to health issues. Does not stop me from going to the range though!!!

Tom