New Vaquero with color case hardened frame. Real, or not?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

andyo5

Single-Sixer
I have seen a few used NM Vaqueros with color case frame, which apparently has been discontinued.
My question: Is this real color case hardening, or is it a phony painted-on coloring like what I have seen on some low priced shotguns lately?
Thanks.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
If it is factory, it is done with a chemical process, it is not a traditional process.

There have been some sent to Turnbull, by individuals, that were done with a traditional method.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
M'BOGO said:
If it is factory, it is done with a chemical process, it is not a traditional process.

There have been some sent to Turnbull, by individuals, that were done with a traditional method.

Thanks, Guys. They do look nice and I was thinking of getting one since I don't currently own a Vaquero. But the asking prices are high and if it is not real color case hardening I don't want it because as you mentioned it will wear off easily. I'll go with stainless instead.
Glad I asked!

Dale53

Blackhawk
andyo5;
I have an original Bisley Vaquero with chemical case hardening. I have used it a good bit in black powder matches. It is a FINE revolver and has held up well:

RugerVaquero-2.jpg

It's not as durable as bone charcoal case hardening but it is not bad, either. I would buy another, if I needed one.

I think it is much ado about nothin'...

Dale53

CraigC

Hawkeye
The folks who have never experienced it or seen it happen think it's "much ado about nothing". For those who have rusted sixguns, faded out colors or colors that came off while cleaning, it's quite the different story. I just think that some turned out better than others.

Dale53

Blackhawk
andyo5;
As I stated before, I have shot a good bit of black powder loads out of this revolver (as well as smokeless).

When shooting black, I clean, at the range, with a GOOD black powder solvent. I use Friendship Speed Juice. It is a home made concoction of:

One pint of Murphy's Oil Soap
One pint of rubbing alcohol
One pint of Hydrogen Peroxide

The mixture must be kept in a dark jug after mixing. Light damages Peroxide. OR, you can do what I do - after mixing, I put one pint in the peroxide bottle for range use (keeping the balance in a dark cupboard).

Then, after I wipe dry, I use a good preservative. My choice is Ed's Red (a home mixture developed by Ed Harris) both inside and out.

Neither true case hardening NOR Ruger's color case will keep ANYTHING from rusting. You MUST use a good preservative for this. There are any number of excellent products for this - one of the better ones is Dexron II or III Auto Transmission Fluid. The Dexron is far better than a number of "gun" oils.

Original bone charcoal case hardening is definitely preferable but exposure to the sun (untraviolet) will fade this badly. Look at first generation Colt revolvers. That gray patina was once bright case colored.

FWIW
Dale53

gak

Buckeye
...And IIRC, even Turnbull's job (on the Rugers only) is not "traditional" or "true" case hardening either, just a different process (and results) yet from Ruger's.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
I have owned several different Vaqueros and still own an Original Vaquero 44/40 with the chemical case hardening and have never had a problem with the color or rusting. Only thing I use is wiped down with WD 40. I have Uberti's with case hardening and they lose their color and become kinda white long before the Ruger stuff even shows any signs of coming off. Just thought i would throw out that info for what ever it is worth. Mine still looks as good as ever after a few years. I would not be afraid of it.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
gak said:
...And IIRC, even Turnbull's job (on the Rugers only) is not "traditional" or "true" case hardening either, just a different process (and results) yet from Ruger's.

That's what I've understood as well. Not the traditional method, but wow! What colors!

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

This is a photo of the Case Hardening on one of my Colts. This is a 2nd Gen Colt made in 1973. I have put a great deal of Black Powder through this pistol over the years, and do not always clean it as soon as I should. Consequently, the colors have faded a bit.

colorcaseColt.jpg

The next photo is the Case Hardening on the frame of a Cimarron Cattleman of mine. I have not shot this pistol as much as the Colt, and the colors have not faded as much. But they were never very strong to begin with. Notice the hammer has also been Case Hardened on the Cattleman, but not on the Colt. Colt does not currently case harden hammers.

colorcaseCimarron.jpg

Just so you know what a fantastic Case Hardening job looks like, here is one of Doug Turnbull's masterpieces.

TurnbullCaseHardening.jpg

Here is the fake Color Case finish on an 'original model' Vaquero of mine. This one has not seen as much Black Powder as my Colt, so the colors have not faded much. I know many folks have reported problems with the fake Ruger colors, which is why Ruger discontinued them a year or so ago. But I have had no such problems.

colorcaseVaquero.jpg

Lastly, here is the fake Color Case finish on a New Vaquero of mine. Again, I have had no problems with it or its twin.

colorcaseNewVaquero.jpg

Now, aside from the spectacular colors that Turnbull achieves, notice how much 'blotchier' the Ruger fake colors are than the true Case Hardening colors of the other three revolvers. Notice how much more subtly the colors blend together with the real thing. Actually, my New Vaqueros have a pretty good imitation of real case colors, not too bad at all. But the other Vaq is pretty blotchy.

It is true, the colors on real Case Hardening can fade over time, and with exposure to harsh chemicals. Even strong sunlight can fade them. Turnbull coats his guns with a clear lacquer to protect the colors. But even if the colors fade, the thin hard skin is still present with real Case Hardening, doing its job of reducing wear. That is what Case Hardening was invented for in the first place, to harden the surface of the metal. This was before modern steel alloys existed that could be heat treated to harden them completely through the metal, which is by the way what Ruger does and why the colors are fake. The metal is already hard all the way through. Nineteenth Century gun manufacturers originally were just trying to harden the surface of the steel, the colors were just a by product of the process. But eventually, they realized the colors were a selling point all by themselves, so each manufacturer developed their own process to maximize the colors. They all jealously guarded their processes. Turnbull has managed to recreate these processes.

And yes, neither real nor fake Case Hardening will protect against rust. The steel is raw, there is no coating to protect against rust as there is with blued steel. Raw steel must be kept oiled, or it will rust.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
gak said:
andyo5 said:
Here's my Uberti special engraved with coin finished frame.
_DSC3179.jpg

Beautiful gun, but what is "coin finished"?

Not sure why they call it that. It is a golden color with very little blue or other coloring on the frame. I like it alot. It is also a great shooter as well.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Dale53 said:
Andyo5;
Aces and eights - dead man's hand.

What brand of bourbon? :D

Dale53

I was wondering whether anybody would pick that up.
Actually, it is Johnny Walker Red. I didn't have any bourbon on hand at the time. Call it poetic license.

Latest posts