New Vaquero made on a Monday or Friday

Help Support Ruger Forum:

scary

Bearcat
I've been struggling with my new Bisley Vaquero. First the grip issue, then I've been trying to find out why the action had a hard "hump" right in the middle when cocking it. Disassembly revealed an L shaped piece of metal shaving which fell out of the action. The action was de-burred and it was improved. Then I noticed a chatter mark on the crown:

CrownSmall.jpg

Aaarrgh. My OCD is flaring. It may be tiny, but now that I know it's there it seems huge. It looks like it actually goes into the rifling plane and you can see the drag mark from the cutter screaching across the flat of the crown:

CrownCloseSmall.jpg

So... do I shoot it first and see if it will have accuracy issues?

Do I just send it back to Ruger and have them fix it?

Do I have someone re-crown it for me?

Advice is welcomed!

mustang99

Single-Sixer
That looks a LOT like a casting pit, not cutter chatter. I would shoot it first befoire being bothered buy it. If you send it in, they most likely put a new Bbl on it.

the first (top ) picture shows the "chatter" marks going up and outward ,away from the chip?? crater?? whatever...I'd send it back as the 'recut' of THAT crown needs a bit more than a "touch up"...........OR 'recut" to a completely different 'angle'??

Sugar River

Buckeye
Mustang,
I thought revolver barrels are either extruded (GP, SP, Redhawk) or cut from bar (SA).

I'm trying to think why a straight handgun barrel would be cast.

Thoughts?

Pete

w5lx

Single-Sixer
Send it back and have them fix it like it should be or you will notice that chip every time you pick up the gun.

mustang99

Single-Sixer
Brain fart, the fact that it looks so much like a pit caused me to temporarily lose my nind! Good catch. The S/A Bbls are GFM forged at PTC.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
A good gunsmith can fix that cheaper then postage cost to send it back . Yes that will kill the accuracy of the gun . If your going to send it back , check cylinder throat and have that repair also if needed .

kevin seyer

Single-Sixer
Call ruger explain the promblem should send you a prepaid ups tag to send it back and no shipping costs at all. and no there are no cast barrells that im aware of. Who in there right mind would make a cast barrell? pouristy and all. JMO.
Kevin

Knuckles

Buckeye
Give them a call...

Tell them what's wrong...

Tell them you LOVE Rugers...

Ask them to send a call tag...

Tell the nice man/lady from service "thank you"...

Send the gun off when call tag comes...

Pick up boxed gun in middle of the yard left in rain from delivery guy/gal...

As Hickok45 likes to say, "Life is Good!"

edlmann

Blackhawk
kevin seyer said:
Who in there right mind would make a cast barrell? pouristy and all.

Back in the '70s, someone made a cast .357 revolver - frame and barrel in one piece - but it used a liner. Can't remember who that was. They weren't in the gun business long.

Sugar River

Buckeye
There's no particular reason not to cast a barrel from a purely engineering standpoint, in fact the P89 barrels were cast, at least in early iterations.

The reason not to cast is purely financial. A barrel is a simple shape, much more cheaply produced by other means.

Pete

TexasFats

Bearcat
flatgate said:
I've not heard of investment cast barrels from Ruger.

But, I live in a cave......

flatgate

Sometimes, the bars that are used to form into barrels have intrusions of carbon or voids in them. Normally, that barrel should have been rejected and sent off for scrap. I would not merely re-crown it because there may be other, hidden, flaws that could cause problems. Springfield Armory (the original US Govt. armory--not the private company doing business under that name) had problems like that with 1903's that they turned out during WWI and later. The late Maj. Gen. Julian Hatcher talks about that in his book, Hatcher's Notebook, which is, I might add, an invaluable source of information even yet.

That pit sure looks like a flaw in the barrel that indicates a flaw in the steel from which the barrel was made.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

Ruger does not make their own barrels for their single action revolvers. They buy barrel blanks that are already rifled, then cut them to length and contour the outsides. I do not know about their double action revolver barrels, I know S&W makes their own. S&W hammer forges their barrels to rough outside dimensions, cutting the final dimensions on CNC. They rifle their own barrels, I have seen their rifling broaches.

It makes more economic sense to buy barrel blanks for a single action barrel because they are a simple tube, not a barrel with contours like a double action barrel.

The mark on the crown of the revolver in question looks like a tool mark to me. A cutter contacted the crown where it should not have.

Frankly, it is not attractive, but I doubt it will have any significant effect on accuracy. At least not the accuracy most of us are capable of with a handgun with open sights.

Latest posts