New toy, not a Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ra

Single-Sixer
I bought a AR15 lower receiver off GunBroker last week. There is a pawn shop on my way to work so I decided to use them, also they where a GunBroker listed FFL. I stopped in to make arrangements for the transfer, and there in the case was a Remington XP100. I had always wanted one but around here that is only the third one I had ever seen, and the other 2 was years ago when I didn't have the money. It was in good shape for its age, and it had a Smith & Wesson 1 1/2-6 power scope, I never knew S&W made pistol scopes. It was priced what I thought was a little high, so I made him a low ball offer to see what he would do. He came back with an offer that was no bad, not cheap but not out of line. I told him I would think about it, and I would be back in a few days when the lower arrived.
When I returned a few days later it was still there, I split the difference between my low ball offer and his offer. He thought a minute and said "Cash-not credit card" I said cash, he said deal. I did both transfers, paid cash, and left with my first XP100 :lol:
I did some research online and by the barrel codes it was made in April 1965. The bluing has a few rubs but no rust, and the stock has a few scratches, but still great shape for a 49 year old gun. Where the bolt rides in the receiver there is very little blue wear on the rails, I don't think it was shot much. I cleaned the barrel with some Butches Bore Shine and there was a little powder fouling but very little copper fouling. Also it has the second lightest trigger I have ever felt, with my cheapo RCBS spring trigger gauge it measures right at 22 ounces. Here are a few pics-

Roger

No-1

Single-Sixer
Mine shot under an inch at 100 yards. It didn't know the difference between some handloads I had just thrown together and ones I took a lot of time with. Figured it was because it could only burn x amount of powder while the bullet was in the barrel and any overage just contributed to the Fireball name.

contender

Ruger Guru
I bought a very low 4 digit gun MANY years ago from a local dentist. I regret ever selling it. Mine came in the Dupont case too.
Congrats on finding a 4 digit gun as well!

ra

Single-Sixer
Ty, it did not have the case with it, wish it did. Have not shot it yet, am waiting on dies. I have a Doctors appointment Friday, his office is close to a Academy Sports, I will run by there and see if they have any 221 ammo. I have tried 2 local gun stores with no luck.
The only change I plan to make is to replace the see-thru rings with something lower, most likely Weaver Tip Off rings.

Roger

DW44VH

Bearcat
What a great find. I had the 7mm BR 30 years ago, sadly it was stolen. That was one fun gun to shoot, and the accuracy was great. I still have the brass, dies and even some bullets. lol I almost bought another last year, but my local range doesnt allow pistol shooting beyond 50 yrds. (Canada) Keep us posted after ya get to the range.

ra

Single-Sixer
The Blackhawk Kid said:
ra, what caliber? 221 fireball or jet?

As far as I know all the first guns, and all with the vent rib where 221 Fireball, as is this one. The 22 Jet was introduced in a S&W revolver.

Roger

contender

Ruger Guru
For a long time the only caliber in this model was the 221 Fireball. His 4 digit gun makes it a .221, and if you look closely, you can read it on the barrel.