New to me tang safety 77.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
I recently bought a Ruger M77 in 7RM, I think it is an 88 model.

When I first had a look at the rifle I could see that the rifling in the throat was still sharp. There was a few small dents in the stock but it looked more like a rifle that was handled indoors (like a shop or stored in a bad place) than outdoors.

I glass bedded the action and floated the barrel before I even shot it. I have had great results in the past by doing it this way. After glass bedding the action I fitted a Timney trigger as I got one for a pretty decent deal. I also stripped the old finish from the stock, ironed out the dents, sanded the stock surface smooth again and gave it an oil finish. The oil finish makes it a lot easier to remove dents in future and some people like the oil finish better.

Next I replaced the old scope with a Sightron Sii Big Sky and I am very pleased with it's performance.

The barrel on this rifle is most probably a Wilson barrel and shoots incredibly well. My third time out with the rifle I decided to shoot a 5 shot group with my reloads at 100m. Usually I shoot 3 shot groups with hunting rifles but I knew I had something special here.

Below is pictures of before and after finishing the stock.

Before:

After:

Here is a 5 shot group fired at 100m with 140gr NBT, Rem brass, CCI 250s and Somchem S386 powder.

Last weekend I gave the rifle to my brother as a birthday present. This will be the first rifle that he will put on his name, and I thought it would be great if I could give him a guaranteed shooter. His birthday was is in late December but guess it was worth the wait :) Cannot think of something else that might last a 'few hundred' years and brings so much joy at the same time!

Pieter

Hi nice job I like the oil finish I am doing one right now just like it The one I am working on is in 7x57 my favorite hunting rifle By the way my birthday is coming up if you have another one and you want to make someone very happy :D :D :D

Gramps

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the kind words guys.

It is interesting to see the simple things people miss on rifles that can cause inaccuracy. What I noticed on this rifle was the action bottoming out on the magazine box. There was a clear rub mark on the mag box, meaning that the rifle could not bed properly where it was supposed to. I cannot see how the rifle could have shot accurately with that amount of contact with the mag box. After I bedded the rifle I took a file and just removed a bit of metal where the action made contact. I stop removing material the moment I can feel the mag box moving when the rifle is assembled.

I sometimes wonder how many inaccurate rifles out there can be fixed by a few simple checks.

Pieter

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Kudu m77 said:
Thanks for the kind words guys.

It is interesting to see the simple things people miss on rifles that can cause inaccuracy. What I noticed on this rifle was the action bottoming out on the magazine box. There was a clear rub mark on the mag box, meaning that the rifle could not bed properly where it was supposed to. I cannot see how the rifle could have shot accurately with that amount of contact with the mag box. After I bedded the rifle I took a file and just removed a bit of metal where the action made contact. I stop removing material the moment I can feel the mag box moving when the rifle is assembled.

I sometimes wonder how many inaccurate rifles out there can be fixed by a few simple checks.

Pieter
I think there must be a lot. Ive only had one that I couldn't make shoot under a inch. It was a Remington varmint rifle. You could see the bad spot in the barrel. I bought it new. Some rifles just take more work than others. Some you have to do the opposite of conventional wisdom.