New to me FEG R-61 and an Unscrupulous Seattle Dealer FFL

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MG-70

Single-Sixer
I'll try to make it short, so as to not be too boring. After much searching, I finally bought what looked to be a good FEG R-61 in .380acp from an FFL seller with 400 completed transactions on Gunsamerica.

Online description:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/956951338/FEG-R61-380acp.htm
"FEG model R61 in 380acp caliber. A copy of the Walther PPK, imported from Hungary by CAI. Originally built in 9mm Makarov, subsequently re-barreled to 380. Bright alloy frame, blued slide, black plastic grip without thumbrest. 90% condition, excellent bore. Comes with a total of four magazines. $195 plus $20 shipping. Certified funds or credit cards; add 3% for CC's." Seller: Norm Dion, Yankee Trader LLC out of area code 253 (near Seattle, WA).

My dealer/FFL has a full time job and often travels. I'm fine with that and work around it, as he is a good guy and very accommodating (I've been using him for transfers for the last 5 years, maybe longer and have only had to send one gun back, from Century Arms, and they took it and even paid return shipping). Anyhow, I only inspect and fill out the paperwork on the FEG, and a couple of other pieces, exactly 21 days from the FEG's arrival. My dealer only saw it after the 3 days had passed and did not look down the barrel.

Less than a minute into the inspection, when I rack the slide on an empty mag and stick a piece of white paper into the ejection port to take a peek down the muzzle, I notice a badly ringed barrel. As I take it apart, the ejector and no spring falls to the ground.

I get home, and email the seller, and he says it's past the 3 day inspection period. I tell him if the gun he shipped was as advertised, that wouldn't have been a problem, but that he sold and shipped a broken gun whose fix would cost nearly as much, if not more than the sales price. All he does is email me back a copy of the text with the 3 day inspection period. Gunsamerica just says he's got 400 completed transactions and there's nothing they can do to help me.

The only non-factory replacement barrel of the correct length I can find costs $107 + shipping, and a barrel vise costs $50 + shipping, and additionally, there's the job of cutting the current barrel ahead of the bulge and driving it out. My other option is selling the whole thing for parts.

If anyone has a line on a short FEG .380acp barrel, please let me know.

Morals of the story are 1) DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH NORMAN DION aka NORM DION OF SEATTLE WASHINGTON [email protected] as he is a crook and relies on a 3 day inspection to sell his trash! 2) DO NOT USE GUNSAMERICA as they do nothing to protect the buyer!

I plan on filing with his BBB. I only picked up the gun last weekend.

Now for pics

sorry to hear of what took place, sad really when it involves only a few dollars of what that 'dealer" has done in all this time, you'd think he'd stand behind it...this again points out the problems and issues that can happen and do , all the time on the internet and sad to say there is little or NO recourse ..........as always I want to "see, feel & touch" ( inspect) before I buy anything.........one reason I will not do internet sales...got burnt LONG ago with a sale to 'kalyfornya' and find out it would cost $3000 to "retain" a lawyer in that state to go after the offender of a $600 "parts,swap & return"........will not happen again.....................
yes, at times these "educations" certainly do cost time AND money..................

RugerHound

Hunter
Hate to say it, but when I see an 87% positive rating, I stop looking no matter what the seller has at what price. Sorry about your bad experience...