NEW SP101 4" .357 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

deadduck357

Single-Sixer
Ruger has released another 4 inch barreled SP101 revolver, this model is chambered in .357 Magnum – it was sent to me for T&E review.
SP101.357-1.jpg

SP101.357-2.jpg

With the 5 shot cylinder this revolver maintains a slim profile.

Remington, Winchester and Speer ammunition was accumulated for the test.
SP101.357-15.jpg

Head group is 5 rounds of Rem. UMC 38 Spl. FMJ at 3 yards, offhand.
SP101.357-20.jpg

All torso groups are 5 rounds at 7 yards, offhand.
Left: Rem. UMC 357 Mag – Right: Speer Gold Dot 357 Mag.
Center: Win. USA 38 Spl +P

20 yards from bench
SP101.357-29.jpg

While this is a handy sized revolver it doesn't let you forget about full power .357 Mag. loads; the .38 Spl. ammo was quite pleasant to shoot. As for just 5 rounds, that should get you out of a bind while hiking on a trail or as a backup when hunting without the unessential weight.

for full review - http://lead-slinger.com/ruger-sp101-357-magnum

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
I_Like_Pie said:
This gun + a good set of Badger grips would be just about a perfect replacement for a K-frame.
It might be but until it gets a track record I will continue to shoot my Model 19 and 66.
Howard

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
roaddog28 said:
I_Like_Pie said:
This gun + a good set of Badger grips would be just about a perfect replacement for a K-frame.
It might be but until it gets a track record I will continue to shoot my Model 19 and 66.
Howard

The SP has been around for 20+ years. Certainly not as long as the K-frame, but that is enough track record to be a credible option...no?

I suppose that one could argue that this is a "New" gun and there may be some kinks to work out, but the only difference between this and the gamut of other SP guns is the barrel and sights....

Don't get me wrong....last count I had more than 20 k frame pistols scattered around the man room. Love them, but this is a serious contender at a very good price.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I got the 4" .22LR with a Wolff spring set its a very good gun. I imagine this has the same awful trigger that the .22lr has, so the $10 Wolff set would make this a very good gun.

My local dealer ordered in 10 of them. I was on the list before I even asked about them!

Thanks for the review DD!

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
One thing it has going for it over the S&W K-frame is that it's at least 7 oz. lighter....and a tiny bit smaller.

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99 said:
And don't forget the SP doesn't have any phony locks on it. :D
It has one on the hammer, doesn't it? But at least it's not glaring like a shiny azzhole like on the S&W.

ACM73

Bearcat
My sp101 doesn't have any lock on it, I don't believe this one does either.

rangerbob

Buckeye
One good thing about this Sp101 is that there exists an identical 22LR understudy for economical training. Sorta like a S&W M15 & a M18, or a M14 and a M17. It should sell well. Bob! 8)

dipper

Bearcat
They should have just added the sights to the 3" version IMHO.
My 3 inch is one of my favorite revolvers... adding another inch to the barrel doesn't do much for me but I do like the sights.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
The SP101 is meant to be a smaller carry-sized revolver. It comes in 2" and 3" barrel lengths, which are appropriate for the intended use. Another clue that it is intended for carry use is the 5-shot cylinder and small frame and grip size. That much seems clear to me.

So why now extend the barrel to 4"? The GP101 fills that need just perfectly and has the standard 6 shot cylinder and full sized grip and frame. I don't understand the thinking, other than to easily "create" a new model that incidentally does not make sense.

Why do all the standard gun mag reviews include a target showing the accuracy of the gun? Ever seen a review with shots scattered outside the entire target? No, of course not. Are we saying that somehow the SP101 is much more accurate now that 1" has been added to the barrel? What about a valid comparison between the 4" barrel model and the 2" barrel model?

In any case, a carry gun is a short range - often handshaking distance - firearm. Target accuracy is of no concern and the suggestion that it is important patronizes to the reader.

How about a little information on the fit and finish, trigger pull weight and smoothness (or lack thereof)? And as an added bonus, let's see a photo looking down the sight radius of the gun or at the barrel-to-frame junction. Did they get the barrel screwed on square? Does the front sight lean to the right like all 4 of mine do?

carry_up

Triggernosis

Single-Sixer
As long as I can't see it, I don't care if it has a lock. That S&W lock with it's "off" and "on" and an arrow stamped is just plain vulgar!

dipper

Bearcat
Carry_Up said:
The SP101 is meant to be a smaller carry-sized revolver. It comes in 2" and 3" barrel lengths, which are appropriate for the intended use. Another clue that it is intended for carry use is the 5-shot cylinder and small frame and grip size. That much seems clear to me.

So why now extend the barrel to 4"? The GP101 fills that need just perfectly and has the standard 6 shot cylinder and full sized grip and frame. I don't understand the thinking, other than to easily "create" a new model that incidentally does not make sense.

Why do all the standard gun mag reviews include a target showing the accuracy of the gun? Ever seen a review with shots scattered outside the entire target? No, of course not. Are we saying that somehow the SP101 is much more accurate now that 1" has been added to the barrel? What about a valid comparison between the 4" barrel model and the 2" barrel model?

In any case, a carry gun is a short range - often handshaking distance - firearm. Target accuracy is of no concern and the suggestion that it is important patronizes to the reader.

How about a little information on the fit and finish, trigger pull weight and smoothness (or lack thereof)? And as an added bonus, let's see a photo looking down the sight radius of the gun or at the barrel-to-frame junction. Did they get the barrel screwed on square? Does the front sight lean to the right like all 4 of mine do?

carry_up

An extended more detailed version of my point/thoughts exactly.

Carry_up
As far as a carry gun for ccw you are right a 4" barrel is not needed as "handshaking" distance may be right. But as a Kit gun, camping gun or trail gun whatever you want to call it the extra inch and sights can help a lot. Also many states require 4" for hunting.
As far as accuracy comparison between 2 and 4 inch barrels, put them in a Ransom rest and I doubt you see a difference. But add 2" sight radious and the better sights you will see a difference almost guaranteed.
The only thing I see that Ruger did wrong was not bring it out a year after the original SP was introduced.