New shopkeeper bearcat question?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

single action

Single-Sixer
folks the two little bearcat shopkeepers by Lipseys that I have observed have very ill-fitting grips. this reminds me of the Lipseys 2 inch .44 that had a similar problem. Has anyone else notice this issue. I realize this is a completely new grip and as such the grips had to be made from scratch but it is still disappointing. sa

DPris

Buckeye
The last new Ruger SA I had here late last year had an extremely poor fit between grips & gripframe.
Hopefully whoever's in charge of grip contracting will start keeping a better eye on them.
Denis

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
WWWhoooooooooooa....hold the phone here , guys. YOU gotta understand something; it is NOT the stocks that are outta whack or sloppily made, it is the grip frames who's specifications are ALL over the map. THey can vary .020" to .125" and do regularly !!! This used to drive my pal Billy Lett III absolutely round-the-bend bonkers as the Lett OEM stocks for Rugers had a .002" tolerance which they regularly held over runs of six figures in units.

single action

Single-Sixer
I dont care whos fault it is, is shows a lack of quality control on either side and reflects badly on the vendor and Ruger. I would expect that either organization Ruger or Lipseys would come to a mutual consensus and try to resolve the issues inamuch as it reflects badly on each. this is a special edition and as such I would expect a higher degree of care. Apparently both companies are in it for volume with a disregard for consistency and quality work. that is just my humble opinion and over the years I have purchased over 40 of Rugers Accusport, Lipseys, Buckeye and other assorted special editions but the one they ordered for me I refused as well as the other one that I looked at because of the crappy fit. thanks Bob

sp327

Single-Sixer
As much as I like Rugers, I will not order one or buy on sight unseen. I've been burnt by there quality control acouple times. I will buy them if I see them in the store and I can look at them. I wish Ruger would shape up. When you get a good one, you've got something

rdf009

Single-Sixer
I agree with Wil Terry and sp327. The last three new Ruger SAs that I ordered had quality control issues, two of which were issues with the gripframe. All three guns were distributor exclusives, which I would have expected to be of higher quality. The gripframe problems seem to be especially bad on stainless guns. I will no longer buy a new Ruger off the internet unless I first see pictures of the actual gun that I am buying. I still think they make great guns.....I just want to look at mine before I commit to buy it.

As far as Altamont goes, I have ordered dozens of their grips over the past few years for Ruger, Smith, and Colt revolvers. I find them to be of high quality for the price, and have not had any issues with them.

Cholo

Staff member
I remember the "ill fitted grips" in the late 70's on the Security Sixes, at least those around the Chattanooga, TN area at the time. The one I bought new in '79 is terrible. I was told that the grip frames were what varied, not the grips.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
"You're not gonna get hand fitted grips on mass-production stuff."

There ya go!! I make my own grips and don`t really care what the factory panels fit like. They will be saved to go with the gun should I ever let it go.

Out of the last 20+ new Ruger revolvers I have bought, only one has been what I would call "complaining poor" on the grip fit and that is this one.
IMG_1341_zpsa2492980.jpg

sp327

Single-Sixer
Chuck 100 yard
that sure is a pretty gun. Just one thing wrong with it that I see....NOT MINE :)

single action

Single-Sixer
Once upon a they fit pretty darn well, so we accept mediocre or poor quality as a function of thats just the way it is? I have new wincesters and browning citoris and smith and wesson revolvers that seemed to overcome the mass produced bugaboo mentioned above. IMHO sa