New Ruger LCP, clean it before 1st use?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

looney2ns

Bearcat
Greetings all.
New LCP owner, first gun ever owned.

Looking over the LCP slide on the inside, it appears to be covered in some sort of grease, but it doesn't appear to be a very slick grease. Is it advisable to do a field strip and good cleaning prior to first shooting?
Love this site!

Thanks!

pisgah

Buckeye
Cleaning before firing is something I do with every gun I acquire. It is surprising what kind of stuff I find inside guns -- new ones will very often be over-lubed and even have chips left over from machining operations, while there's absolutely no telling what you will find in a used one. Besides, the procedure familiarizes me with the gun and sometimes help me avoid ignorance-induced problems.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum from the Seattle area.

I would certainly recommend a good field strip/clean/lube before you take your LCP to the range.

boomer 8)

RonS

Single-Sixer
I never fire a new firearm until I have field stripped it and at least wiped it down and run a patch through the bore. I don't know what kind of lubes manufacturers use, but I am willing to bet they came from the lowest bidder. I use CLP and Wilson Ultimalube grease on my guns.

joejodus

Bearcat
I agree with everyone I always clean before i shoot a new gun. Manily to clean all that packing grease they put in them, and just oil them up and good to go

Yawn

Blackhawk
+1 to all!

I would add that I try and work the mag and gun springs a bit too before firing it.

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
ALWAYS clean a new gun before shooting. ALWAYS!

Firearms are manufactured and then coated in a protective covering of some kind. We used to call it cosmoline. Whether it's grease, RIG, gunk, or goo, there is one thing for sure.

It is absolutely not a lubricant designed for high speed cycling of an action or any kind of metal on metal contact.

Guns are made and then may sit for an unknown amount of time due to shipping, storage and sorting at a distributor, and then they may rest at a gun store for who knows how long. They must endure this with their gunky coating.

All of that crud must be thoroughly cleaned off before shooting.

Seriously. Do it. And do it well.

Yawn

Blackhawk
I still vote for some working of the mechanisms prior to firing

doublebarrel_2

Bearcat
I didn't. I guess I got an itch and want to see my new gun jam at one point or another. So I always take my new pistols (Rugers, Glocks, HK, Beretta, etc.) to the range and see if they'd choke within the first 50 rounds of cheap balls. So far the only gun I remember putting some lube on (but still no cleaning), was a SIG P6. It was an old surplus, looks dry to me so I sprayed some Eezox inside before pulling the trigger...

BTW, none of them jammed...

Yawn

Blackhawk
I think you will find it will help with a smoother first trigger pull at the range. I know I did!