New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm thinking Ruger has hit another home run. I was at the shot show the year they brought out the LCP and rumor had it they took orders for a quarter million guns that few days. Face it, the Single Six nice gun that it is, keeps going up in price. Plus there's not rule that says you have to get rid of your Single Six to get a Wrangler. I won't get rid of mine. I'm going to get a couple of these. Face it even the Bear Cats are pushing $500. I think Ruger is responding to the soft market we are all dealing with. I'm really tired of hearing so many negatives when it comes to change.
Plastic auto good.
Aluminum revolver bad.
Doesn't make sense.

No brainer to buy one. They'll sell like crazy.

Ruger's waaaaay ahead of the pack right now as far as I'm concerned.

From the Ruger web site:

"Transfer bar mechanism and loading gate interlock provide an unparalleled measure of security against accidental discharge."

It sounds like the traditional Ruger single action safety measures, and just as strong as a Single Six.
Let's also face it, it's getting tougher to find a used Single Six for <$300. It would have to be pretty beat up to find one.
The less hands on experience people have with a gun in question the more they pontificate about it.
I think I'll get at least a couple. I'll have some to pass down to the grandkids if and when they come along.

I also think Ruger will be taking a hunk of Heritage market share, because people will go for the Ruger at a slightly higher price but at $500 or more, they will stick with the Heritage. I've bought a ton of Heritage guns as give aways at our DU Military night event. Never got a call to complain about them. I would have bought the Wranglers had they been available. As it was 100 of the 300 guns we gave away were Rugers. People appreciated that.

hpman66

Hunter
I think that if Ruger puts steel inserts around the firing pin and around the holes where the cylinder pin goes through the cylinder frame, the durability should be pretty good. They put a steel insert on the feed ramp of the SR1911 for the same type of reason. Taurus has steel inserts on their new 22LR semi-auto pistol also.

CraigC

Hawkeye
The cylinders are steel.

The aluminum frame and grip frame limit your choices on finish. Put a nice polish and anodized finish and it's going to cost more. Cerakote is a tough finish and should look better, longer than anything they've used in the past. No, it ain't blued steel but it's under $190.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
grip frame is zinc/cast metal. frame aluminum. cylinder and barrel alloy steel. internals MIM. free spin, no clicks or indexing when gate is open.

rugerlovah said:
grip frame is zinc/cast metal. frame aluminum. cylinder and barrel alloy steel. internals MIM. free spin, no clicks or indexing when gate is open.

Very interesting. The usual grip frame is aluminum.

Care to share your source on all that?

:)

rugerlovah said:

That zamak grip frame might explain the minimal weight savings over a Single Six. That stuff is heavy.

Wish they had gone on and spent the extra 75 cents on additional steel for the hammer, instead of molding it with the indentations in it.

louiethelump

Buckeye
To answer whoever asked where I got aluminum for the cylinder. I read it wrong it seems. At least the steel cylinder and the zinc alloy cast grip frame explains why so little weight difference.

Thanks to the poster of the review.

I will buy at least one and maybe more. I wonder if an aluminum Single Six Grip Frame could fit and reduce overall weight.

Thanks to those that corrected me and to those posting more information.

These should be available at about the price of a well worn single six that is missing the magnum cylinder and you will get a brand new gun. I like the finish. It will not replace my single sixes, sevens and tens, but will add to them.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
Kinda funny. Reception here has been luke warm at best. Over at the SASS Forum, they love the idea:

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/286989-ruger-wrangler-revolver-22lr/

Enigma

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
rugerlovah said:

Very interesting. The usual grip frame is aluminum.

Care to share your source on all that?

:)
That's the one thing I really DON'T like about it, is the concept of a zinc grip frame. Wonder if a standard Blackhawk-size grip frame is interchangeable?

https://www.realguns.com/articles/1096.htm

rman

Bearcat
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. If Ruger was discontinuing the Single Six I could see all the hand wringing. I have a Single Six in .22 and .32 H&R Mag and a Bearcat with adjustable sights. Do I need another small bore single action? Maybe - seems like this would be a good knock-around, truck gun/plinker. Who cares if it picks up a few nicks and dings? I may just buy one after they have been out a little while. After all, it IS a Ruger.

57springer

Buckeye
rman said:
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. If Ruger was discontinuing the Single Six I could see all the hand wringing. I have a Single Six in .22 and .32 H&R Mag and a Bearcat with adjustable sights. Do I need another small bore single action? Maybe - seems like this would be a good knock-around, truck gun/plinker. Who cares if it picks up a few nicks and dings? I may just buy one after they have been out a little while. After all, it IS a Ruger.
Yup :wink: