New Ruger .22 Revolver Introduced

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Best deal I've found so far:

pre-order_ruger-wrangler_2019.jpg

My 1st handgun at age 11 from my dad was a zinc import similar to Heritage. Piece of junk and my dad agreed, returned it and traded it in for a Colt Scout I still have. Would've liked a Wrangler a lot more.

I'd take the silver one.
Add an OM alloy XR3 grip frame (simple to adapt to a NM. Already done a few.) Cerakoted to match frame.
Walnut grips.
Maybe swap in a fluted cyl.

TRanger

Blackhawk
As long as they're not discontinuing the Single-Six, I think this is a good addition. I'm very critical of the general downgrade in quality industry-wide; but, for the money, this seems like a definite alternative to the dreadful Heritage revolvers. Would make a good gun to stash in a vehicle or a fishing kit or just have fun with.

louiethelump

Buckeye
I have looked and looked and do not see who has the ad with the $179 pre order price. Would love to if I knew who has them. Can you fill us in who ran that ad?

gunman42782

Hunter
They don't have yet, but KYGUNCO has a decent price on them when they do, it looks like.
https://www.kygunco.com/productgroup?name=Wrangler

57springer

Buckeye
:) I called up Bobs Army Navy in Clearfield Pa. yesterday to ask about the wrangler. The clerk told me they were just now shipping to the distributors , and would have them in stock in about 2 weeks and will be selling for $175. :)

hpman66 said:

Those prices are about $20.00 higher than other prices I have seen...look around and you will find better prices:

https://www.kygunco.com/productgroup?name=Wrangler

These should start showing up at the dealer level in a couple weeks, right after NRA...

I have been contemplating an Heritage for a couple of years now. Now I will get the Wrangler. Can it shoot shorts and longs also? ( yeah, I still have some) A .22 mag cylinder would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
gramps

woodsy

Blackhawk
gramps said:
I have been contemplating an Heritage for a couple of years now. Now I will get the Wrangler. Can it shoot shorts and longs also? ( yeah, I still have some) A .22 mag cylinder would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
gramps
Should accept shorts, longs, and CB's, as does my Single-Ten. The cylinder chambers are straight-thru, so nothing preventing it. As far as mags go, I wasn't interested, since even a CB hit on a squirrel at 50 feet is fatal. But to justify the mags, go to this site which has tested both .22LR and WMR:

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Tons of useful info there.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I could be wrong but seriously doubt Ruger is using zinc for the grip frame. Why would they? Wouldn't be the first time RealGuns got a detail like that all wrong. They were wrong about what they wrote on the materials used in the .454/.480 Bisley's and slandered me on Facebook for pointing it out.

falrifles

Bearcat
The frame is CNC aluminum alloy. This is explained on the Ruger Web site video. There is no reference to zinc alloy. You would think that it would be more than two ounces lighter. That said, I'm thrilled to see it. I have many Rugers. I have many guns period.

This gun fits a specific niche. Perfect gun for a young guy or gal who is not well heeled, yet will still get Ruger quality. An elderly person that is on a limited income. Limited hand strength. Looks like a kit / truck gun to me.

I will buy one to use in the woods. It would be just right for a float trip; where loosing it in a river would not be the end of the world. I could never get myself to accept a Heritage Arms Rough Rider. I can and will buy a Ruger revolver that appears well thought out. This gun was well thought out.

We still have the single six. Its not gone. If you have no use for the Wrangler, don't buy one. I will be buying one or two. Perfect for the grand kids. This gun should be a good seller.

Ruger has a home run on it's hands. Good job Chris!!

Update as of 4/24/19: I just ordered two of the all black versions this morning. Hopefully they will be well regulated for POA-POI.

Bill in STLMO

57springer

Buckeye
CraigC said:
I could be wrong but seriously doubt Ruger is using zinc for the grip frame. Why would they? Wouldn't be the first time RealGuns got a detail like that all wrong. They were wrong about what they wrote on the materials used in the .454/.480 Bisley's and slandered me on Facebook for pointing it out.
The Ruger website says the frame is Aluminum alloy on the spec sheet .

57springer said:
CraigC said:

The main frame is what is referenced in the Ruger website, not the grip frame..just to clarify

57springer

Buckeye
NH Rugerman said:
57springer said:
CraigC said:

The main frame is what is referenced in the Ruger website, not the grip frame..just to clarify
I saw that elsewhere after reading the spec sheet at Ruger . Thanks for the update ! :wink:

CraigC

Hawkeye
falrifles said:
But what is the source of that information? You would think that it would be more than two ounces lighter.
So far, only RealGuns is saying the grip frame is zinc. They also said that the .454/.480 Bisleys were entirely constructed of Carpenter Custom 465 stainless. When in fact it's only the cylinder. The frame is 415 and the barrel is 15-5. That, coupled with the way they reacted to my polite correction adds up to zero credibility.

A reviewer said that the Wrangler was only 28oz. My blued Single Six is 34oz. Six ounces is a considerable reduction in weight.

RSIno1

Hunter
s4s4u said:
Enigma said:
I read elsewhere that it's supposedly a budget version of the Single Six. Guess they're trying to compete with Heritage Arms now.

Compete with Heritage? Now that's a good one. I can't see Ruger sinking to that level ;-)
That is where the bean counters are taking Ruger - it ain't Bill's company anymore. It's about the bank account not the guns!

xtratoy

Buckeye
I wish Realguns would have told us the bore diameter since
they seemed to measure everything else. If this gun was
designed as a 22LR only revolver and the barrel is specific to
this gun and not the same barrel used on the Single Six they
could have went back to the pre 22 magnum bore diameter of
.222". I doubt that the grip frame is a zinc casting but will
have to wait until Ruger confirms it.