New Model Bearcats

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk

The New Model Bearcats do not get much attention from collectors but there is a lot to look for.
The 50 th anniversary, the convertible, the stainless, the shopkeeper ,and the adjustable sights . Among the many changes was the barrel length to 4.2 inch.

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
I wish the ShopKeeper had been made with an extra 0.2" of barrel, along with the max length ejector rod.

It might have made extraction of the empties a little easier.

HHH

I am still looking for a 50th. Don't know if I could scrape up the $$ for a convertible at this time. I have the other models mentioned. One thing I did do was to polish the aluminum ejector housing with some 0000 steel wool. It now looks like the rest of the revolver.

eveled

Hawkeye
H.H. Hipshot said:
I wish the ShopKeeper had been made with an extra 0.2" of barrel, along with the max length ejector rod.

It might have made extraction of the empties a little easier.

HHH

You would think the engineers would use that to determine the minimum length barrel. Or come up with a solution to the extraction issue.

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
The ShopKeeper is a cute gun as is, but I could have lived with an extra 0.25" of barrel length, and I think it would have looked just as good, and balanced just as well. Ejection of cases would have been greatly enhanced.

I have learned to scrape the ejector against the chamber wall to catch the edge of the case mouth when ejecting fired rounds, but it should not have been necessary to do so.

HHH

eveled

Hawkeye
I guess the other solution would be to make it even shorter and cuter, eliminate the ejector, and use a separate rod to eject the shells.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I have an old one and a new one and if I can find a nice used shopkeeper at a good price I may have 3 and a collection. Otherwise what I have is all I will ever have unless I hit the lottery.