New mini14

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Mil Dot Barska goes with it nicely I thought. It was my Poor Mans Modern Sporting Rifle when AR's and AK's cost a fortune.
I have an sks , bought in early 90s at a gun show . 79 dollars if I remember right . Never a hiccup, eats all the commie steel ammo . Never an issue.😉 They were a bargain for sure ......... Used to have that gun so hot , you had to lay it on the bench to cool down 😀

I have an sks , bought in early 90s at a gun show . 79 dollars if I remember right . Never a hiccup, eats all the commie steel ammo . Never an issue.😉 They were a bargain for sure ......... Used to have that gun so hot , you had to lay it on the bench to cool down 😀
I think they were $65 in a barrel next to the $35 Barrel o Mosins. Being 6'5" the original ergos were a non starter. I never felt outgunned in the presence of AR's and AK's. It was awesome for a poor dumb Apprentice. It's still pretty awesome in my opinion. More accurate than most AK's absolutely reliable and as low maintenance as any gun gets. Every 10 years or so I strip and clean the grease out and any fouling. Recoat everything with Mobile 1 axle grease as I put it back together. I need to get them out and verify zero. It's probably been about 16 years since they've seen the light of day. It's really nice knowing they're there if I ever need them.

moparclan

Single-Sixer
This one was $800 and verified by Ruger $10 letter.
DSC01390a.jpg

DSC01384.JPG

Last edited:
I used to sell quite a few SKS through my little gun shop business back when they were cheap. I'd get a carton of them in, swab out the bore, and fire a few rounds of the Ruskie ammo. If one showed better accuracy than the one I'd picked from the previous batch, I kept it and sold the other. After 3-4 iterations of this process, I ended up with two considerably more accurate SKS rifles than the average(still have them and about 2K of matching ammo).
Most(and this is just a general statement) of those surplus SKS rifles were NOT what I'd call 'accurate'. I had pretty good eyes back then but sight picture wasn't the problem. :(

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
A little thread drift here but , did any of you sks guys ever put optics on one . ? I have seen scope mounts for them . Just curious how they stack up .......😉

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I remember looking at the mounts way back , If I remember correctly you had to remove the mount for a field /strip cleaning ? Thus needing to zero it again ?

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Mobucks post has me curious . Wondering about the potential accuracy of an sks . Always more or less " plinked" with mine .

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I overlooked your photo of your sk Hvymax. See the optics now. All this talk of sk's is making my trigger finger itchy..........😛