New Leather for my ML Straight Back Knife Set

Help Support Ruger Forum:

countryboy

Single-Sixer
A few days ago I posted some photos of two new ML straight back knives I recently received and below are the sheaths I made for them. Both sheaths have a very nice textured finish which I believe I'll call my "Sourwood" finish because that's exactly what it is. I actually dampened the leather and hammered it against a sourwood tree to get the textured look. I don't know if anyone has ever done that before with leather but I really like the way it turned out and I think it's very unique. Other types of tree bark would each give a unique texture so I may try some different trees in the future.

First up is the sheath for the smaller knife. This is a pocket/neck sheath that has a leather lace with handmade maple bead for neck carry. You can remove the lace and the sheath rides nicely in a back pocket. Most of the time I will pocket carry it but sometimes when I'm in the woods camping, hiking etc. I may use the neck lace. You could also use the lace to make a belt loop for belt carry or tie it to a possibles bag. I made a similar sheath for my wife's small ML drop point and it works really well.

dlhqfl.jpg

2d8lzf8.jpg

Next up is the larger knife sheath. This one can also be used a few different ways. I lined this sheath and used a Sam Browne stud on it so it can simply be tucked behind the belt for cross draw. I also made attachments for it so that it can be used for standard belt carry or shoulder carry.

20iujgk.jpg

k01sow.jpg

2806t21.jpg

2agu3o0.jpg

16bjxib.jpg

2pyw3rd.jpg

2gxmbl1.jpg